KX250f

I got this bike from my friend already disassembled and downloaded the manual for it. I rebuilt the top end cuz water was leaking into the crankcase, but I have a bolt left over and cant find it anywhere in the manual. If you know where its from/goes please help. I don't want to kick over this engine just for it to run a little bit and blow up. The reason I'm thinking its from inside the engine is, cuz its too clean to be from outside.

WIN_20170325_10_21_03_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170325_10_21_15_Pro.jpg

Seriously?  A blurry picture without mention of year, make, and model.  

• Like 2

unfortunately its not that bolt. I've double checked. this bolt is about 4mm in width and 25mm long with a 3mm hex head. Does anyone have a clue where it goes? I really don't want to start it up til I find out where this bolt goes; in fear of the engine detonating.

• Like 1

Could it have been a bolt that someone used to replace another bolt in or on the bike in the past?

Sometimes instead of paying a huge price for a new OEM bolt people ( myself included ) just used and old metric bolt that will work.

How "disassembled" was this bike when you got it?   Are you looking for a place in or on the engine for this bolt or could it equally be possible to be a frame bracket bolt ....   Need details.

The bike was disassembled pretty good. The engine was just the top end and this bolt was too clean to have come off the frame anywhere. I looks like its been in oil its whole life.

Just going through one of the bikes here. The only bolt on the top end that looks remotely like your picture is the exhaust cam decompression assembly.
Anything else you may be looking into the bottom at water/oil pump retainers or kicker gears and shifting links.
Hope that helps!

IMG_4577.JPGIMG_4578.JPG

Ok thank you for that I'm going to guess it came from somewhere else then and see how it goes. Thank y'all for the help!

I just recently purchased a KX250f that I had to do a top end rebuild on. I've got it all back together, but I can't get it running. It has fuel, spark, and air. I noticed while kick starting it the crank turns, but the cams don't which would explain why it won't stay running. Why won't the cams turn while kick starting to open the valves  and  why won't it stay running if I have all three of the needed components to make it start and run?

Wait, so the cams don't turn at all?  And does it fire, but not stay running or not start at all?

if the cams don't turn at all, you either didn't put the chain on correctly, possibly at crank gear or didn't put the chain back in at all, lol..

a compression test could help you figure things out easier as well, because in addition to air, fuel, and spark, you also need compression.  

This makes no sense at all. Please post pictures of the parts and video of the cams not turning when starter is kicked.

(This thread is starting to feel like one of those stinky furry things that hangs out under bridges.)

• Like 1

Thanks guys the chain was off the crack. I got it back on and retimed the bike. Had it idling for about five minutes. reved the engine once. it died and now I cant get it started again. What's going on now guys? I've checked timing and its still dead on. I've checked fuel and its still squirting fuel out and the spark plug is brand new and getting spark.