Exhaust

I'm considering a slip-on exhaust for my PIG. I like Yoshimura products but all suggestions will be appreciated.

I put a Yoshimura on my bike,  Fit and finish are great but it is no lighter than the stocker.  And it is a little on the loud side.  I still like it but was hoping for a little weight savings over the stock slip on.

• Like 1

I installed a complete Big Gun system, although it is a little loud, performance wise with Daves Mod and re-jetting, woke up the beast

• Like 1

I installed a complete Big Gun system, although it is a little loud, performance wise with Daves Mod and re-jetting, woke up the beast

If you had a second choice what would it be?
FMF Powercore-4.

What would be your second choice?

Keep in mind you will need to repack either pipe at least every other year, they recommend every 15hrs of riding for my Big gun pipe

• Like 1

The Q-4 , because of the design , is both more restrictive and burns up the packing faster. You'd be better off with the PC-4 and the quiet inert. My PC-4 is the second FMF I've had on the XR. I had a Titanium-4 for on it first. The Big Gun is LOUD , as is the Pro Circuit. My PC-4 sounds just right (to me , anyway) with the included spark arrester in it and it gives it the slight bit more back pressure to make it run how I want.

• Like 1

I have the Yoshi RS2 SS and like it alot.  With my air and carb set up, I run it without the spark arrester.  Although it is louder, (but not stupid loud) I find the bike starts, idles and revs out better and has more torque through the entire throttle range.  I found it to be considerably lighter than the stock muffler. Only down side is that the can is riveted so repacking is a little more involved compared to others with screws.  Cosmetically, it's a beaut and is positioned very well on the bike compared to other exhausts that stick out too far like Procircuit and Supertrapp.  I've heard lots of positive comments on the FMF products as well.  I install the spark arrester when I ride in the woods.  I carry it with me and it installs with one 4mm eln screw.  The pipe is a little more expensive than most but I got mine on sale for $100 less which made it comparable to others at the time.  Fit and finish is excellent - straight bolt on with no hanger.  Always wanted one and have no regrets!

• Like 1

I should also mention FWIW - the Yoshi comes with the midpipe already assembled. Just insert onto header, ratchet two bolts and your done - perfect fit.

• Like 1

I put my yoshimura rs2 on last week end.  It weighed almost exactly the same as the stock.  There is hardly any weight savings with that slip on.  That was one thing I was hoping for when I bought and was surprised when it wasn't.

Edited by Pat4wd
  • Like 1

Another consideration is that aftermarket mufflers are generally much weaker than the stocker.  They can get tweaked if the unsupported back end of the can hits a rock or tree.  Luckily it's not too difficult to bend them back.

I have the Yoshi RS2 SS and like it alot.  With my air and carb set up, I run it without the spark arrester.  Although it is louder, (but not stupid loud) I find the bike starts, idles and revs out better and has more torque through the entire throttle range.  I found it to be considerably lighter than the stock muffler. Only down side is that the can is riveted so repacking is a little more involved compared to others with screws.  Cosmetically, it's a beaut and is positioned very well on the bike compared to other exhausts that stick out too far like Procircuit and Supertrapp.  I've heard lots of positive comments on the FMF products as well.  I install the spark arrester when I ride in the woods.  I carry it with me and it installs with one 4mm eln screw.  The pipe is a little more expensive than most but I got mine on sale for $100 less which made it comparable to others at the time.  Fit and finish is excellent - straight bolt on with no hanger.  Always wanted one and have no regrets!

Thanks!

I put my yoshimura rs2 on last week end.  It weighed almost exactly the same as the stock.  There is hardly any weight savings with that slip on.  That was one thing I was hoping for when I bought and was surprised when it wasn't.

What about performance improvement?

It is a straight through design so it will be right there with any straight through design slip on. You honestly won't see any real difference between the performance of these pipes other than sound and weight.. Get the one you like the looks of.  One thing I liked about this over the fmf is it does have the band around the pipe on the rear.  It has a actual mount built into the pipe. 

• Like 1

What would be your second choice?

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward the Big Gunn or Yoshi. I need performance. I also like the way they look. I had a Big Gunn on my Yamaha Rhino. I believe it Dyno tested @ 3 extra HP.

Keep in mind you will need to repack either pipe at least every other year, they recommend every 15hrs of riding for my Big gun pipe

Do you have to break any tabs when you re-pack?

Did you happen to Dyno test your bike before and after?

Did you notice a performance gain?
  • Like 1

Yes,  but it is not so much that one after market pipe is better than another.  It is about taking a stock 1/2" opening and increasing it to a straight through 1 1/4" opening. I would get the one you like the looks as well as construction.

• Like 1

I had the Original FMF Q  when I bought the bike,,then got the FMF Q2  now the FMF PowerCore4

The original FMF Q  was the best looking,,loved it,,i`d buy another in a heart beat if they still made them,the stainless end with the slight turn down was sweet..

The powercore4 is what this bike should have to not sound like a fart whistle but not be horribly loud..i was disappointed FMF got cheap and didn`t anodize the can anymore though,that pissed me off.but then foundthat I kinda like it,i can take NEVERDULL and polish the can up like new after scratching the hell out of it..lol

Next pipe I buy...........and muffler......  STAINTUNE

B