Skid plate 2016 TTR 230

Any recommendations on skid plates?

I was looking at the HP-EXG-73 Exhaust Guard Skid Plate which is a plastic based but like that it includes exhaust pipe as well or

Emperor Racing HD Skid Plate Yamaha TTR 230 (05-16) which is an aluminum.

Thanks

Just picked up a new old unwanted 2016 this week and want to add a skid plate asap. Have you added one and if so what one and how do you like it? 

On 11/10/2017 at 6:34 AM, irme42day said:

Just picked up a new old unwanted 2016 this week and want to add a skid plate asap. Have you added one and if so what one and how do you like it? 

Since you're in the USA you might want to try Ricochet Racing.

Did you get a Ricochet?  I just did and it seems like its missing some hardware and that I will have to drill the frame none of which is indicated in the lousy generic instructions.  Mine is a 2017.

Did you get a Ricochet?  I just did and it seems like its missing some hardware and that I will have to drill the frame none of which is indicated in the lousy generic instructions.  Mine is a 2017.

Did you confirm it's the right skid plate for your model? I don't think your suppose to drill the frame.

It may be mispackaged, it should be obvious how it fits. If you have a specific question I can go look at mine.

• Like 1

This is the rear 2 brackets.  It looks like I'm supposed to drill out where the small hole is, all the way through the frame and attach the L bracket with a bolt.  The existing hole in the frame is not on the front side, only the rear.  There is no mention of this in the instructions and no included bolts in the package.  The front mount is fine.

20180224_185457.jpg

20180224_185547.jpg

I think the rear brackets need to be turned 90 degrees from where you have them. You shouldn't need to drill anything.

Thank you but they hit the bar in the middle if I do that. Could you possibly post a photo of the way yours is Assembled?

They're closed and im riding tomorrow
Then put stock back on. Have you asked on other sites? If not try over on the TW200 forum. Many have experience with TTR's too.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:38 PM, motovita said:

It may be mispackaged, it should be obvious how it fits. If you have a specific question I can go look at mine.

Apparently parts are mislabeled/mispackaged all the time.  I am in the middle of a rebuild and have experienced this first hand on 3 items now, THREE!! I'd look for some reference pictures on the ol' interballs.

Edited by PitRipper

I bought two Emperor Racing skid plates for my two TT-R230s; they look great and fit almost perfectly.  One one bike, I had to drill out some extra space for the two brackets underneath, and was able to use all three factory bolts.  On the other bike, I tried something a little different....instead of using the two factory bolts underneath the engine, I bought a stainless steel hex cap screw (actually bolt) with stainless steel washers, ss lock washer, and ss nylon insert nut (bought from Fastenal store), and it worked great; no drilling needed.