Sign in to follow this  

Aliexpress / Cheap fat bar handlebars good??

So my Original handlebar got bent, Now i got one on the bike that i had laying around. But it bends a little bit with hand and squeeks when you do. so i dont trust this handlebar anymore. Now i read the twinwall was a great one, but it also comes with a big price tag. Now i have the money. But i read fat bars are also strong. So i dont know if anyone has experience with cheap fat bars? Are they good. Will they hold up after a fall?

Simple answer, been around for ever, 99% of the time, you get what you pay for.  Cheap price equates to cheap quality. Sometimes, cheap is fine if you expect to trash what ever it is anyway. But a cheap bar, that pretzels or snaps 20 miles out in the woods, forcing you to ride back with only one hand grip at 2 mph does not sound like a good deal to me.

• Like 3

Handlebars... one of the two CRITICAL parts that connect you to your bike. I'd never gamble on a part like this. Go with brands that have earned our trust and typically support our sport. Aliexpress... Chinese vendors don't care about your, your bike, or our sport. To me, it's a no-brainer decision.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, William1 said:

Simple answer, been around for ever, 99% of the time, you get what you pay for.  Cheap price equates to cheap quality. Sometimes, cheap is fine if you expect to trash what ever it is anyway. But a cheap bar, that pretzels or snaps 20 miles out in the woods, forcing you to ride back with only one hand grip at 2 mph does not sound like a good deal to me.

That's the best case scenario too... snaps when you're mach'in down a trail, doing damage to your bike and worse, yourself. How much are insurance deductibles these days? One trip to the ER is greater than the cost savings by buying cheap critical parts for a rider's lifetime. 

• Like 1

That's the best case scenario too... snaps when you're mach'in down a trail, doing damage to your bike and worse, yourself. How much are insurance deductibles these days? One trip to the ER is greater than the cost savings by buying cheap critical parts for a rider's lifetime. 

im just worried that if i buy a twinwall i wil bend it. and the cheap bars arent so bad that they just snap. thats why i ask experience not some opinions.

If you want to save money, don't get the venti mocha peppermint frappe on the way to the track. But don't ever buy something of questionable quality and safety just to save a buck. 

• Like 2

A few months back, we had a thread about a kid who was riding and crashed his dads bike, trashed the bars. Dad went out and bought new bars. Kid took the bike out again, crashed and ruined the bars again. He was mad at his dad for buying cheap bars................. Oh the irony!

I'd of made the kid pay the bars and the labor and not ever let him ride my bike again.

• Like 1

I run $90 ProTaper Evos. Decided to go "cheap" once and buy Moose "Burleson" Fat bars, worst decision. Snapped in half at the triple clamp and I run full wrap around bark busters as well. I have never bent, let alone break, a single set of Pro Taper Evos. I race A Class Hare scrambles.

38 minutes ago, Kosmic said:

If you want cheap fat bars, just buy Tusk. Read the reviews. At very least you'll know what you're getting. 

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3095/19027/Tusk-Chub-1-1-8"-Big-Bar?c=13

I have these bars and can say that they're stout. I just wish MotoSport or TT would make them instead. RMATV sucks (see signature). 

2 hours ago, William1 said:

Simple answer, been around for ever, 99% of the time, you get what you pay for.  Cheap price equates to cheap quality. 

You're right, that is a simple answer. In 47 years of buying stuff, I haven't found it to be universally true....in fact a lot of times the price paid is not reflective of quality at all, just reputation and the two are not synonymous.

Some of the best performing stuff I've owned wasn't the most expensive, or even remotely close to it. I have been riding with some Cyrca-like handguards I got from ebay (Chinese, no doubt), and they've taken as much abuse as any guard I've ever used. Haven't even budged, and keep coming back for more. They were a fraction of the cost of the higher end brands. Am I the luckiest person on the planet? Or, sometimes is the price paid not truly just about quality on a scale?

I have dozens more examples in both directions (because sometimes I buy higher end stuff too).

To the OP, I can't speak to the quality of the Ali bars, but I'd bet my paycheck they're built by a supplier that is also selling to other vendors and rebadging them as Tusk, or Bikemaster, or whoever.

• Like 1

I think swingset has the right answer here. There are a lot of OEM and reputable aftermarket parts being made in China, whether you know it or not .

I know nothing about these particular bars, but I do buy a lot more Chinese parts than most here. Chinese stuff is often a gamble, my personal win/loss record with this stuff is pretty good, but I know I'm gambling, and know I may lose, I also make sure to give critical parts a good shake down before I trust them. The thing that annoys me about the Chinese parts is the inconsistency. One pit bike carb from vendor x is perfect, same one ordered six months later is a piece of junk. 

One day soon the Chinese motorcycle industry will get thier act together. 

• Like 1

Buy good bars....unless you buy helmets off of ali, then get whatever disaster part you like and don't ask questions about it here.....
But seriously, bars are a pretty damb important part of your bike. This would be an area where good judgment and lack of gambling would be necessary. After all it is a very big safety issue.

I run $90 ProTaper Evos. Decided to go "cheap" once and buy Moose "Burleson" Fat bars, worst decision. Snapped in half at the triple clamp and I run full wrap around bark busters as well. I have never bent, let alone break, a single set of Pro Taper Evos. I race A Class Hare scrambles.

this is what i run, i had a nasty get off a race ago and they were kinda bent but nothing a rubber mallet couldn't fix. bending is better than snapping