what temperature to be worried at?

hey there!

so i've started taking my normally supermoto setup xl600r out offroading and boy does it get hot!

i have a trailtech with the temp sensor on one of the cylinder head bolts. when i'm riding on the streets itll sit around 220 degrees or so, but on the trail i've seen it hit up to 310 degrees or so. i know these bikes will do high speed desert riding, but i'm slow and really don't get a huge amount of airflow on the trail. i haven't had any issue with the bike shifting poorly or running differently when it gets that hot. i'm mostly wondering at what point i need to be concerned.

enclosed is a pig flying. 

WI9CVIpQA5tsVWBzyGsNGoMhVMhusIWkpDFDxz__

• Like 2

I haven't really, I crash so often I am hesitant to put another thing on the bike to break. Maybe I could look into it.

An oil cooler is going to be my next addition.  Can lower temp by as much as 20-25 degrees.  I find it's mostly a problem on the road at sustained high rpm and not in the woods.  But I'm not in the desert.  High engine temps lead to faster breakdown of oil, lower effectiveness of the oil due to lower viscosity at high temperatures, and faster engine wear.

Consider crashing less often...

• Like 1

youre not my dad!!

yeah on sustained higher speed runs my temps seem pretty okay, i'm getting worried out on trails only. the last few times i've left my bike idling whenever we took a short break to wait for other slower riders because i didn't wanna kick it back to life when we got going. maybe i need to get over that and shut the bike off unless we're about to ride again. 

:facepalm:   It's not a diesel , shut the poor thing off and let it cool. Maybe your sister can start it for you.   :smirk:

• Like 2

Letting an air cooled engine idle,,,while you are taking a break huh...lol

oh and yeah,,get an oil cooler...which is worse,worrying about a punctured oil cooler(never seen it yet)   or over heating it badly and dropping an exhaust valve seat (see it quite often)..

your call bud

B

I rode my loaded up (500 lb) XR650L all through Central America this year.  I have a big fin head and Sutton oil cooler on it.  My oil temps never went past 240 and that was slogging the poor thing through hundreds of miles of deep Baja sand roads  In 2015 I did the same trip but without the big fin head and oil cooler I was seeing oil temps above 300.  Never had any performance related issues though even over 300 degrees.

Edited by baldy110