Motocross 250 smoker or thumper?

Alright my boy races motocross it's his first year racing and he is riding the open beginners class. He is 15yrs old 6ft 2in 195lbs and riding a KTM 250sx 2 smoker. So far this year after 4-5 rounds he has been finishing 3-4th overall but the last race he took his 1st ever 1st place overall. He has been hammering me to buy a new 250 4 stroke and I have been fighting him back so far because I like 2 strokes and I can work on them. I hate to spend $8,000 bucks on a bike that is not as much bike as he is riding now. In 250C class around here you can race any bike 250cc or smaller so the 250 2 smoker is just a beast in that class. In his open beginner class he is in now he is the overal points leader for the class and the guy in second place is a 20 something year old guy on a KTM 450. The last race the guy on the 450 won the first race my boy got 2nd. The second race my boy finished 1st and the guy on the 450 finished 2nd. But the last lap the guy on the 450 caught my boy and the 250 smoker head him off barely. I told my boy as soon as the race was over if you would have been on a 250 4 stroke he would have pasted you on that last lap. I just don't understand he is still dead set on a 250 4 stroke. I tell him all the time after riding his 250 smoker for a year a 250 4 stroke is just going to feel like a 10hp less dog compared to his bike. In a class 250cc and smaller like 250C what would you rather ride a 250 smoker or a 250 4 stroke? 

50 minutes ago, SonsRexspensive said:

Alright my boy races motocross it's his first year racing and he is riding the open beginners class. He is 15yrs old 6ft 2in 195lbs and riding a KTM 250sx 2 smoker. So far this year after 4-5 rounds he has been finishing 3-4th overall but the last race he took his 1st ever 1st place overall. He has been hammering me to buy a new 250 4 stroke and I have been fighting him back so far because I like 2 strokes and I can work on them. I hate to spend $8,000 bucks on a bike that is not as much bike as he is riding now. In 250C class around here you can race any bike 250cc or smaller so the 250 2 smoker is just a beast in that class. In his open beginner class he is in now he is the overal points leader for the class and the guy in second place is a 20 something year old guy on a KTM 450. The last race the guy on the 450 won the first race my boy got 2nd. The second race my boy finished 1st and the guy on the 450 finished 2nd. But the last lap the guy on the 450 caught my boy and the 250 smoker head him off barely. I told my boy as soon as the race was over if you would have been on a 250 4 stroke he would have pasted you on that last lap. I just don't understand he is still dead set on a 250 4 stroke. I tell him all the time after riding his 250 smoker for a year a 250 4 stroke is just going to feel like a 10hp less dog compared to his bike. In a class 250cc and smaller like 250C what would you rather ride a 250 smoker or a 250 4 stroke? 

I bet he would be much faster on a 250f . Beginners just can't use a 250 twostroke like it wants to run. Can be a handful.  Modern 250f is hard to beat

• Like 1

I have his 2 stroke adjusted where the power is pretty smooth. With the KTM the power is pretty adjustable and it has a weighted fly wheel. It don't have the bust the tires loose hit of a normal 2 stroke. It's a lot more like the constant pull of a 4 stroke. He definately don't use all the power a 250 smoker has but you don't have to against a 250f. He is also 6ft 2 - 6ft 3ins and 195-200lbs he needs the extra power. He is not going to keep up with the little 140-160lb guys if they are both on a 250f I don't believe.

Well, if he has $8k to blow let him have at it. As big as he is he will regret it. If your flipping the bill, "let him run what he brung".

The next thing to think about is how soon he will miss his 2 stroke when the 450 walks away from the 250 4T.

• Like 1

6'2" 195lbs is really pushing it for a 250f. I'm two inches shorter and 20lbs lighter and a 250f is wagging it's tongue trying to carry me around at speed on a track.