Dirt bikes are not for everyone

Some people should just not ride dirtbikes.  Yesterday had few guys and couple kids over riding but my brother was here. Now he's 41 I'm 39 and I've raced mx since was 17 all way to expert level.  Now my brother Dan does not ride has been to many many of my races threw the years.  So I have a 05 ttr125 big wheel that my daughter rides and my pitbike for say. Figured Dan could ride that and just putt around ride down driveway.  I have half mile long driveway, a track and many hillclimbs and trails here. So Dan gets on the ttr and just hammered threw the gears wide open down the driveway I was so pissed didn't think he'd even make it back alive at that point man. Anyway he comes back and takes a right down into my yard going way to fast washes front end out and crashes.  Wasn't to bad of a crash he gets up rides back I'm yelling at him how stupid he is and why he didn't justputt around you can go so slow on it. Well I see him holding his shoulder and knew he broke his clavicle bone. Well not long after he asked me to take him to hospital and sure enough broken clavicle. So point is some guys just need to stay off dirtbikes lol anyone else have a similar story feel free to share.  Happy memorial day everyone.  Wanna say thanks to all the awesome veterans out there :thumbsup:

• Like 8

Last time he rode a dirtbike I was like 13 had a beater 1979 klx250 gutless wonder . Made this small jump and myself and couple buddies talked Dan into trying it on the klx. Well he did a endo off it into a header knock himself out landed on a cow bone dog brought down from farm above, told him today. No more dirtbikes for you !!!!

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 3

I bet if he was riding alone he wouldn't have broke any bones... people like to show off and end up crashing most of the time.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

I bet if he was riding alone he wouldn't have broke any bones... people like to show off and end up crashing most of the time.

Yes very true . I told him he could go slow be perfect bike . My 15 year old daughter rides it no problem . He learned a lesson tho I think. He even said "this is why I don't ride dirtbikes" i felt bad tho really but I did tell him to just go slow and take it easy rite before he took off like he was doing a start lol lucky that's all he broke really.  

Edited by Motox367

True that some people arent meant for dirt bikes - no co-ordination - funny watching youtube clips where they get out of control and still have the throttle WFO hanging off the back of the bike :cripple:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Midge said:

True that some people arent meant for dirt bikes - no co-ordination - funny watching youtube clips where they get out of control and still have the throttle WFO hanging off the back of the bike :cripple:

Right he would've been one lol i didn't even think to record figured he'd be fine on it. To me it's a pit bike.  But like said above if alonehe probably would been fine

10 minutes ago, Sir falls alot said:

Sometimes I question if I should even ride lol

Hey as long as you don't keep getting hurt you're doing good lol:thumbsup:

• Like 1

back when I was an apprentice I was working for a guy in his 30's (I was 16) and he decided he wanted to get back into riding, told me about all the riding he'd done in his younger years on a CR125 and CR250, so I figured he had at least the basics of riding down, like where the brakes are lol, he call's me up one Saturday saying he'd just picked up a brand new KTm300 and he's heading out to my parents place to go for  a ride, I was like sweet, sounds good to me.

Down the first track (a fairly easy, open trail mind you) there's a washout with plenty of room to ride around, he panics, grabs a handful of whiskey throttle and rides shoulder first into a tree doing 30-35 MPH and shattered his scapula into 9 pieces with a broken collar bone for good measure, all within a mile of my house, and I felt like an ass for assuming he knew what he was doing, now if i take anyone out for the first time it's on an open field regardless of how much riding they claim to have done years ago.

Edited by Ttoks
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ttoks said:

back when I was an apprentice I was working for a guy in his 30's (I was 16) and he decided he wanted to get back into riding, told me about all the riding he'd done in his younger years on a CR125 and CR250, so I figured he had at least the basics of riding down, like where the brakes are lol, he call's me up one Saturday saying he'd just picked up a brand new KTm300 and he's heading out to my parents place to go for  a ride, I was like sweet, sounds good to me.

Down the first track (a fairly easy, open trail mind you) there's a washout with plenty of room to ride around, he panics, grabs a handful of whiskey throttle and rides shoulder first into a tree doing 30-35 MPH and shattered his scapula into 9 pieces with a broken collar bone for good measure, all within a mile of my house, and I felt like an ass for assuming he knew what he was doing, now if i take anyone out for the first time it's on an open field regardless of how much riding they claim to have done years ago.

Ya I've seen similar things threw the years myself but you just assume they should be ok. Makes you feel bad Ik 

Unless I know them and their riding ability, it's a no go.

The unsuspecting general public has no idea how quick even a pit-bike can hurt you.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

Unless I know them and their riding ability, it's a no go.

The unsuspecting general public has no idea how quick even a pit-bike can hurt you.

Exactly how I am to don't let just anyone ride on my track till I get to know them. But my brother been around long enough figured he'd be fine. Just one of those things I geuss 

2 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Exactly how I am to don't let just anyone ride on my track till I get to know them. But my brother been around long enough figured he'd be fine. Just one of those things I geuss 

You never really know someones true history.

I've seen some that have the history, but they're just not accomplished riders.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
incorrect sentence structure
  • Like 2

Some just don't have the motorcycle gene. Best they stay off them. Like me with horses, they know.

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, highmarker said:

Like me with horses, they know.

True bikes do have a mind of their own sometimes

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Some people should just not ride dirtbikes.  Yesterday had few guys and couple kids over riding but my brother was here. Now he's 41 I'm 39 and I've raced mx since was 17 all way to expert level.  Now my brother Dan does not ride has been to many many of my races threw the years.  So I have a 05 ttr125 big wheel that my daughter rides and my pitbike for say. Figured Dan could ride that and just putt around ride down driveway.  I have half mile long driveway, a track and many hillclimbs and trails here. So Dan gets on the ttr and just hammered threw the gears wide open down the driveway I was so pissed didn't think he'd even make it back alive at that point man. Anyway he comes back and takes a right down into my yard going way to fast washes front end out and crashes.  Wasn't to bad of a crash he gets up rides back I'm yelling at him how stupid he is and why he didn't justputt around you can go so slow on it. Well I see him holding his shoulder and knew he broke his clavicle bone. Well not long after he asked me to take him to hospital and sure enough broken clavicle. So point is some guys just need to stay off dirtbikes lol anyone else have a similar story feel free to share.  Happy memorial day everyone.  Wanna say thanks to all the awesome veterans out there :thumbsup:

Just wait until you get the medical bills.

Joe

• Like 1

Don't be too hard on the guy, remember we've all had our own crappy mistakes, maybe not as bad or on your first try but still. That being said, some people really do not "click" with dirt bikes or bicycles  or whatever, no matter how much they try. My two brothers don't care about bikes or dirt bikes at all, they ain't going to ride em. Not even a buddy ride. I guess I was the only one to get the "riding" gene from my dad, but then again I am the junior.

Edited by RawbW
  • Like 3

Can't count on 2 hands how many times I've seen people get on dirtbikes, take off in a throttle lock and go til a tree/fence etc stops them. That happens after this very concern is explained well, so people just don't get it!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

Can't count on 2 hands how many times I've seen people get on dirtbikes, take off in a throttle lock and go til a tree/fence etc stops them. That happens after this very concern is explained well, so people just don't get it!

Exactly lol