Capital forest trip? Worth it?

- Hey guys how's it going

Planning a dirt bike trip for the last week of June and am still unsure where to go.  I'm from Quincy "right near mattawa" and have rode most place this side of the cascades.  I'm looking to go someplace new for my trip, maybe something on the west side.   Was looking at Capital Forest after checking out the other post about it.    Was just wondering if it's worth making a trip out there? Doesn't look like there is much single track to ride but a lot of ATV trails.  What about camping? Are the camping areas all grouped togeather in a loop?  Would prefer a camp site where the neighbors aren't 20ft away lol. A mile or so at the least would be nice. 

Anyway, was just looking for some input on the area and if it's worth a trip out there. Open to any other sugestions around Washington or Oregon.

Thanks

-Rex 

Edited by Rex Renolds

38 minutes ago, Rex Renolds said:

- Hey guys how's it going

Planning a dirt bike trip for the last week of June and am still unsure where to go.  I'm from Quincy "right near mattawa" and have rode most place this side of the cascades.  I'm looking to go someplace new for my trip, maybe something on the west side.   Was looking at Capital Forest after checking out the other post about it.    Was just wondering if it's worth making a trip out there? Doesn't look like there is much single track to ride but a lot of ATV trails.  What about camping? Are the camping areas all grouped togeather in a loop?  Would prefer a camp site where the neighbors aren't 20ft away lol. A mile or so at the least would be nice. 

Anyway, was just looking for some input on the area and if it's worth a trip out there. Open to any other sugestions around Washington or Oregon.

Thanks

-Rex 

Good place to ride but wouldn't call it a destination. If you're already near Mattawa and you don't mind driving a bit then I'd try Winom-Frazier in eastern Oregon. Really nice campgrounds with great privacy. No showers but clean pit toilets anyway. There's not a lot of super tough crazy insane alpine style single track there but there's some. Other than that, maybe Taneum will be open then or Little Naches too but the stuff up high may still be snowed in even by then. 

There are quads there at Winom Frazier but they're utility quads with winches, all late model, every rider there wears helmets too. The quads at Capitol Forest don't even have matching tires, most don't have grips, seats, or fenders either. :crazy: 

Edited by shrubitup

Thanks for your reply shrubitup.

I'll have to look into Winom-Frazier. Taneum and Little Nache are actually my stomping grounds, been there several times and have just about rode everything in those areas.  Sounds like Taneum is kinda in shambles after the hard winter and above average snow they got this year. 

-Rex 

26 minutes ago, Rex Renolds said:

Thanks for your reply shrubitup.

I'll have to look into Winom-Frazier. Taneum and Little Nache are actually my stomping grounds, been there several times and have just about rode everything in those areas.  Sounds like Taneum is kinda in shambles after the hard winter and above average snow they got this year. 

-Rex 

If you go then you must pick up the very detailed maps that sit in the open 24/7 lobby of the Ukiah Ranger Station. It shows all the trails and campgrounds. I couldn't find same on internet. Really good paper copies that won't get you lost. There's about 1.5 full days of riding there if you're fast and 2.5 days if you are more leisurely. Many of the trails are wider double track but rolling and up and down terrain unlike say East Fort Rock which is predominately flat. 

I also have a lot of time and miles in Taneum but my experience is with the high snow pack this year it may not be fully open by the end of June.  CF isn't Taneum but it does have a lot more vertical than any of the other low land riding areas, over 2000' from the staging areas to Capitol Peak. All of the trails are for ORVs less than 50" wide so not really 2 track, just wide trails with several lines that keeps your "best line calculator" working.  And there are some ST trails. 
WA DNR has a good paper topo map and a download for smart phones, Switchbacks.com has trail and topo maps of CF for Garmin devices, the topo includes trails and roads, the trails map includes roads (nice for small screen GPS).
Several good campgrounds; Waddell (DNR) on the east side, and Straddleline (Grays Harbor County) on the north side. Also several staging areas like Rock Candy, Waddell, Straddleline, or stage at an wide spot on a logging road. Over 90 miles of mapped trails and  enough trails and roads that you can build a variety of loops. A WA ORV sticker allows riding the logging roads.
A Discovery Pass is required for your car/truck. 

-Thanks shrubitup

East Fork Rock / China Hat was another area we were looking at going. Never been there either. 

-Thank you Chuck

I have a garmin GPS I'll look into pulling the map from switchbacks and grabing the paper map too if we end up going to capital forest.  

Edited by Rex Renolds

I rode Millican and China Hat recently, and I'd pass on them....very whooped out, disappointing and the riding is flat out pretty boring if you're used to technical stuff.

Capitol Forest is double track, but much of it pretty technical and it's a fun place to ride for a couple days. Good access to services and such too, staying out of the Waddell Side on a busy weekend or holiday weekend is wise, of course stupid me couldn't resist the other day....

In Milton Freewater is a place called Harris Park. Not sure if it's open. Went there last fall and it was really nice! I have a youtube video of it on my channel, check it out. 

• Like 1

-Thanks shrubitup
   East Fork Rock / China Hat was another area we were looking at going. Never been there either. 

-Thank you Chuck
   I have a garmin GPS I'll look into pulling the map from switchbacks and grabing the paper map too if we end up going to capital forest.  

I liked China Hat. Some areas were whooped out, others you could skim over in a high gear. I found many miles of smooth, endless berms as well.

That being said, Cap Forest is fun and close. See you there!