Any words of inspiration before I give up on dirt biking?

Recently I have been finding myself able to ride less and less and spending more and more time fixing and spending money on the dang things than actually ever getting to ride...im 19 years old and the closest riding is 30 miles aways. Im taking summer courses and working and I go back to school in the fall. Every corner I turn I need another tool or need to wait a couple weeks for my next 100 bucks in parts to come in. I absolutely love riding, at times I may have even said I would die for it. But after spending 6 hours wrenching on a bike today getting it clean and ready to sell since I definitely don't need two of em, I strip a nut on the linkage and the I cant tighten the axle without it going sideways and locking the rear wheel up. Any last words before I curl up in a ball and give up on this awesome terrible sport?

• Like 3

Not to question your passion, but if it's real, you will find a way, and it won't be a hassle.

Maybe take a break for a bit and do other things to see where your desire really lays.

At 19 years of age, you have plenty of time to reflect/ponder.

I drive a 150 round trip 2 times during week to practice, and much further to some of our races on the weekend.

• Like 6

I've found that as I've spent more time wrenching, I picked up/honed my mechanical skills and the maintenance stuff is no longer a big deal. 

Working on the bikes is a part of riding, I ride about 200 hours a year between all my bikes, so I expect to have to spend some hours in the shop. 

You're only 19, so I'm assuming that you probably can't afford the latest and greatest. The bikes I ride now aren't nearly as abused as the one I was riding at your age. Just ride within your means ATM, set yourself up for getting a good job in a few years, and you'll be able to afford a nice bike when the time comes. 

• Like 3

30 miles to the nearest riding area?  Man, you have it good. My first two years were 60-100 miles each way for some shitty quad trails, the only singletrack was available by signing up for races!  

Just take a break.  If you really love riding, you'll miss it and enjoy it even more when you come back to it.  If you don't enjoy it after the break, well find something else then.  Plenty to do in the world!

I was hardcore into mtn biking for 12-13 years before motos.  My wife, all my friends, everything I knew revolved around bikes but after 10 years I was taking longer and longer breaks, and less into them each time I came back.  The drives to the trails seemed like labor, and I was finding excuses not to go i.e. Weather, no time, etc..

theres no point in forcing yourself to enjoy something that you do for recreation. If you're on the verge of making it big as a pro then that's different.  But for most of us, it's a way to let off steam, get outside, stay in shape, etc...  and even pro riders from all disciplines take breaks off the bike, it's necessary for mental and physical health

• Like 2

When you are passionate about something, the frustrations and repairs don't outweigh the joy you receive from the activity and you take some satisfaction from the repairs necessary to keep your hobby moving  

You are young enough to where this may not make sense yet, but I hope this'll be a life lesson to remember: it's like marriage. The good outweighs the bad and you keep working on it. If you don't work on it, it'll break down, and sometimes you work on it and it still breaks down because you didn't find the underlying issue. But in the end, if you are really passionate about it, then you keep on keepin' on. It's when YOU give up, that it's not worth it anymore. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vincentp said:

Recently I have been finding myself able to ride less and less and spending more and more time fixing and spending money on the dang things than actually ever getting to ride...im 19 years old and the closest riding is 30 miles aways. Im taking summer courses and working and I go back to school in the fall. Every corner I turn I need another tool or need to wait a couple weeks for my next 100 bucks in parts to come in. I absolutely love riding, at times I may have even said I would die for it. But after spending 6 hours wrenching on a bike today getting it clean and ready to sell since I definitely don't need two of em, I strip a nut on the linkage and the I cant tighten the axle without it going sideways and locking the rear wheel up. Any last words before I curl up in a ball and give up on this awesome terrible sport?

I think some of the advice above is good. Hit the pause button. I was in and out of the sport at your age, not for schooling, but to eat. I know, a bad habit (having to eat).

If you're forcing it, or anything, time to take a break. If you love it, it will come back as a joy, not a burden.

• Like 2

Keep rolling with it if riding is what you want to do. I've felt that way many times and still do, between repairs(some/most probably my fault lol) and time to get there. Starting a new job with varying hours and school next semester will be interesting, along with other life crap. I jumble between mtb and dirt bikes mostly. Above all, if you REALLY want to ride you'll probably find it, you may be burned out. I know there's times I could ride more and don't because of lame excuses(tired, too far, too early if I want to go) that's on me.

take your time with decisions, don't do anything on impulse(goes for anything in life). Same when repairing stuff, do it the right way, and if you feel frustrated, walk away before doing it wrong/ breaking something. Now if only I could follow my own advice.im 24 and still have a lot of life stuff to figure out, but that's my advice to you that I can give. Chase a career in some form, be it school or skilled trade of some sort, just pursue it. Don't be a deadbeat like me chasing riding skills, il never be good enough pay the bills with riding, I see you've got a plan bud.

above all, do whatever it is that makes you happy, and do it for you. That goes for life, religion, hobbies. Hope this helps.

Rawb

Lol, enjoy every riding minute you can! Your post would have been mine back when I was 19 (if we had computers back then). I'm 63 now, and can only dream about "what if" I had the finances, tools, internet access to tech info, knowledge about diet, conditioning, riding skills, etc. that I have now, but with a 19 year old body and 19 year old cojones.

• Like 2

Here is something to go with that "whine"

CheeseAssortment.jpg

Edited by Still Bill
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Vincentp said:

I was about that age when I stopped riding.  None of my buds could afford a car and a dirt bike plus they worked, had girl friends (more money spent), and were trying to make it in life.  I got back into it for a short time but it was more of the same so I quite again.  Started up again when I was 43 years old.

If I had to do it over again I would have joined a dirt bike club and continued riding. You meet lots of guys of ALL ages and they do cool things and help out, with knowledge, car pooling and all manner of dirt biking fun.

Depending on how you do it it's not terribly expensive but it's not cheap either.  First thing is if your on a 4s ditch it in favor of a 2s.  Costs are way down as is wrenching.  They are a truly ride hard put away dirty and wet as you can get.  

Dirt biking for ME is good for the soul and I dont give up on my soul.  lol

• Like 2

HAH!  Try 2 pastimes that require wrenching all of the time on stuff that breaks.  I not only dirt bike (we have 7 of them) but I also 4 wheel a built up Jeep CJ7and my youngest son has a totally built Cherokee.  I just spent the morning repairing a front brake issue on my Jeep.  Just had lunch and now I'm going to ride.  If I didn't have a passion for all things motorized on dirt I think I would just curl up and blow away.  Just do it, otherwise become a pajama boy. ;)

• Like 4

Use rockymountaintatvmc.com and your parts will come in 2-3 days ;-)  Waiting 2 weeks is insane in 2017!

Also, try adding a GoPro if you ride alone. It helped me get motivated when riding alone since it's miserable to watch slow riding. 

Others are probably right though, either take a break or join a riding club of some sort.

• Like 1

Take a break if you think that will help one way or the other. That said, I've been riding for 55 years. Turned 64 last week, if everything works out, going Thursday. 300 mile drive round trip. Ride solo (woods), so it does take dedication.

Dude you should be shamed of your self young man! I would have given my left nut to to ride when I was 19! my dad would not let me have a dirt bike when I was a kid.  I stared the at 35 the 1st time.  Rode my 1st MX track at 41 and now I'm 53 just got into trail and enduro and would not give it up for anything.   If you stop you will regret it, but if you do you will probly come back to it later in life, sounds like you have the bug son!  Wrenching is part of riding so get used to it OR make lots of money any pay someone to do it for you. That's my 2 cents. 

Edited by Bill_B
  • Like 1

Sounds like you just need a break from it mate...you're having a rough patch at the moment but I assume if things weren't constantly going wrong you wouldn't think twice about quitting? I know because i've recently gone through the same situation...had a 450...gearbox broke, so got it fixed...2 weeks later it breaks again. Finally sort it and rode it for another few months then decided to sell it and get a 250t. Within 2 months of having that the gearbox breaks...the whole lot needs replacing (well known "chocolate" gearbox)...think the guy who had it before me may have stripped it and knew it didn't have much more life in it. Decided I was going to rebuild it myself with a bit of my dad's help...first time rebuilding an engine...that did test me. I wanted to quit at times and seriously thought about it...but months later and £700 down it's done. And for now everything's working ok and i'm enjoying it again. I'm sure it won't last for much longer but it did wear thin on me at times. What i'm saying is, take a break...if you love it and it's a passion then you'll deffo miss it one day and wish you didn't sell everything.

• Like 1

I would say to either get a more reliable bike, or fix the one you have to the point where you know what went into it and it's reliable.

I was in the same place you were a year ago and then I got a different bike and I enjoy riding so much more. My old bike was a '12 RMZ450 and it just beat the piss out of me after awhile. Great bike, just wore me out after a bit. That, plus I had zero desire to rebuild it when the time comes made me jump back to two strokes and I love it more than ever! I'm not bashing four strokes, they just aren't for me or my wallet as a broke 19 y/o.

• Like 1

I see a lot of young guys buy cheap ratty bikes and then dump a ton of money in them.  Bad plan if money's is tight.

Consider saving up and buying a low hour used bike. ...and maybe a torque wrench.  I had trouble at your age too with how tight is enough. 

I was trying to build cars at 19+. Ditrbikes are far more affordable by comparison.  

• Like 3

I agree with everyone who says just have a break. If you're forcing yourself out there what's the point?

I haven't ridden in two weeks. Had a couple of breakages and now feel like some downtime. I was riding 1,2 and even 3 times per week. Couldn't get enough even though the weather was shit.

Now the weather is awesome and I dont feel like it as much. Weird eh?

Also agree with what Seer said. Old busted ass bikes arent for those with limited time and passion. If you don't have the gumption to fully maintain the thing... its going to kill you when it does bust from neglect or bad luck on the trail or mechanical failure. 

I have 3 bikes, and an currently procrastinating putting one back together.

• Like 2