Hey guys I just bought a brand new 2017 YZ250f and I am going riding this weekend and I read that I need to break it in. I read in the owners manual to ride for 20 mins 1/4 throttle and 40 mins 1/2 throttle. It then says to change the oil afterwards and check everything. I found some tutorials online for changing my oil and I am comfortable doing it as I have done it many times before on my CRF150r. On the 150 you use 10W-40 oil in both the transmission side and the engine oil side. I noticed that there were no tutorials for changing transmission oil only engine and in the owners manual I couldn't find anything either. Is this because you only fill up that one side and the oil spreads itself throughout the transmission and the engine? Any help would be very much appreciated! 

Thanks and thats awesome. So Penrite 10W-40 oil would be ok? it says in the manual 10W-40 but it says to use yamalube... is there really a difference?

4 minutes ago, BIG_FAT_&_SLOW said:

Yes Yamaha only does one oil source. Drain and fill per manual and your good

Thanks and thats awesome. So Penrite 10W-40 oil would be ok? it says in the manual 10W-40 but it says to use yamalube... is there really a difference?

Shouldn't make to much of a difference but... you are messing with your brand new 8k motor by using cheaper oil. I'd just buy better oil. This is the lube for your entire motor so hasn't good stuff in their. In my xr80 I run what ever is at Walmart 10w-40 and in my nice bikes I run the good stuff like Castro or yamalube 

• Like 1

while its expensive, I have always run yamalube in my Yamaha products even back to the enticer I rode as a kid. yamalube is one of the best oils out there. Just my preference, like michaelchristie207 said use a quality oil. Amsoil, yamalube, maxima etc. spend the extra money, the .73L of oil that you use in the machine lubricates a lot and a cheap oil may break down faster giving you issues.

• Like 1

close to 100 hrs on 2 bikes with yamalube. engine looked brand new at 40 hr rebuild. that's changing it every 5 hrs with filter. since you are a new yama guy. pay attention when pulling the air filter. it will drop crap straight down the money hole. on the breaking in part. 2 very high pro engine builders have told me. idle for a minute no more.. go ride smooth throttle{no sand} to warm it for a few minutes. then let it eat. seats the rings better. you will have more hp. after 1st session. check for funny things,smells.fluids. etc. let it cool. go rip again.change oil and filter after 1st ride. then normal schedule. also there is a screen to clean on the bottom when doing the change. congrats ,those bikes rip!

Edited by bring the rain
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bring the rain said:

close to 100 hrs on 2 bikes with yamalube. engine looked brand new at 40 hr rebuild. that's changing it every 5 hrs with filter. since you are a new yama guy. pay attention when pulling the air filter. it will drop crap straight down the money hole. on the breaking in part. 2 very high pro engine builders have told me. idle for a minute no more.. go ride smooth throttle{no sand} to warm it for a few minutes. then let it eat. seats the rings better. you will have more hp. after 1st session. check for funny things,smells.fluids. etc. let it cool. go rip again.change oil and filter after 1st ride. then normal schedule. also there is a screen to clean on the bottom when doing the change. congrats ,those bikes rip!

Thanks, can you go into more detail about what I need to do to break it in? So let it idle for 1 min just ride for like 15-20 mins smooth throttle and then let it sit for a bit and then what? Just ride normally for another 15 and then check for fluids, smells etc. and then ride as hard as I want and then change the oil before next time I go riding? Or take the oil to the track? 

5 minutes ago, bring the rain said:

after 1st ride. just change it and the filter,clean screen before you ride again. heres some good reading.http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm-------  this is backed up by top mx builders. I have never had a problem doing it this way either. read it and go have fun :ride:

Thanks man. Oh and 1 last thing, the day I got it I didn't know I had to break it in and I revved it quite a bit and hit the limiter. Have I potentially f'ed up my motor?