Ankle breaking prevention - please help!!

Hey everyone. I broke my right fibula a year and a half ago while riding and made a full recovery, just to break my left fibula 5 weeks ago. It's the same crash both times.

As I go down with my bike my leg and foot get caught between my bike and the ground. Since my body and bike are moving in a forward direction my toe catches the ground and rips my foot laterally 180 deg out breaking my leg.

I ride technical trails 2 to 3 times a week here on Maui and I don't want to give it up, but if I can't find a way to stop this recurring injury from happening I may not have a choice. I'm 35 years old and ride a 2012 KTM 350 xcf-w. The boots I use are Gaerne sg-10s.

Does anyone know of a better boot that does not allow your foot to get ripped out in a lateral direction? I was looking at the Sidi Vortice air boots, or possibly the Gaerne sg-12s?

I was also thinking about possibly installing a crash bar in order to leave a safety zone for my foot as well, but can't find anything online that will fit my bike.

Have any of you had the same issue, or have any suggestions that would help? Thanks in advance for any input.

BRAAAAAAP!!!

.Screenshot_2017-05-18-10-24-37.pngScreenshot_2017-05-18-10-24-31.png

Dang, that would be frustrating.

Even the best boot will flex enough for a break to occur with enough pressure applied.

The crash bar idea sounds plausible, but will likely require some fabrication.

Do you ride with your toes on the pegs, or the arch of your foot on the pegs?

Maybe some type of mini skid plate under the pegs.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

My foot is constantly moving from shifting and breaking positions, to attack position. Ya, was thinking fabricating something may work as well. I like the little skid plate under the foot pegs idea, I'll think about that one.

Like most racers of any sport, I have a scrap pile of ideas that didn't quite pan out, but mine is larger than most; I will try things.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

While I do understand the physics of what is happening, as someone who has been crashing for over 20 years and been around others crashing for that long and never had or seen this happen, it seems just improbable to me it would happen to you twice in a year if the proper gear is worn. It makes me think those boots are the problem. Maybe the toes are grabby and don't deflect off the dirt and keep going forward. Or maybe the the upper portion doesn't grip your calf the way it's suppose to to keep the boot from spinning. Or maybe the ankle of the boots is too flexible and the foot portion twists independent of the upper. Boots are specifically for protecting feet and lower legs. And while freak things happen that protective gear can't always stop, and this is all just a theory/speculation, but two in a year and I would order new boots right now.

I've got Formas, a lesser known competitor in the Italian boot market, they don't have the premium price of the Sg-12s but they are the same premium quality and I love them. 

• Like 1

While I do understand the physics of what is happening, as someone who has been crashing for over 20 years and been around others crashing for that long and never had or seen this happen, it seems just improbable to me it would happen to you twice in a year if the proper gear is worn. It makes me think those boots are the problem. Maybe the toes are grabby and don't deflect off the dirt and keep going forward. Or maybe the the upper portion doesn't grip your calf the way it's suppose to to keep the boot from spinning. Or maybe the ankle of the boots is too flexible and the foot portion twists independent of the upper. Boots are specifically for protecting feet and lower legs. And while freak things happen that protective gear can't always stop, and this is all just a theory/speculation, but two in a year and I would order new boots right now.
I've got Formas, a lesser known competitor in the Italian boot market, they don't have the premium price of the Sg-12s but they are the same premium quality and I love them. 

I completely agree. I've been riding for several years now and have fallen as many times as anyone who enjoys riding hard. I've never gotten hurt "seriously", except from this type of crash. You may be right with the toes being catchy on this boot. They definitely have a toe kick part that sticks out 1/4" or so, and while the do have a plastic hard ankle hinge piece it doesn't seem to do much for the lateral movement..
I'll look into the boots that you suggested as well. Thanks

Maybe a quad netting could be trimmed down and attached to the frame and the tip of the peg.

Good thinking. I'll look into that idea. Let me know if you think of any other ideas as well, thanks
  • Like 1

Not the boots fault IMO, your foot likely gets stuck to the peg and pivots around it outward. vs. the trail ninja hidden stump or rock knocking your foot off the peg straight back.   Think about where your feet are on the peg, in the arch, toes up or down, on the balls , pigeon toed inward out out ward. Are your soles sticky or vibram, pegs razor sharp and grippy (hate em) ?  shift brake lever high so your feet are toes out when not using them?  Not saying how to ride your feet, preference thing, but try to think about what happens IF and adjust. Tib fibs for me too, one even rebreaks in same spot.

Not the boots fault IMO, your foot likely gets stuck to the peg and pivots around it outward. vs. the trail ninja hidden stump or rock knocking your foot off the peg straight back.   Think about where your feet are on the peg, in the arch, toes up or down, on the balls , pigeon toed inward out out ward. Are your soles sticky or vibram, pegs razor sharp and grippy (hate em) ?  shift brake lever high so your feet are toes out when not using them?  Not saying how to ride your feet, preference thing, but try to think about what happens IF and adjust. Tib fibs for me too, one even rebreaks in same spot.

I've been trying to reanimated the crash in my head over and over and it's hard to say the exacts. I think my foot placement gets out of its normal spot by the time my foot gets caught between my bike and the ground, but hard to say since it happens so fast.
The toes do have a "toe kick" that sticks out that I'm thinking may be catching the ground and pulling it out.
How has the recovery been on your second break and how did you break em?
I got 2 plates and 7 screws on the last break and am thinking another break may be much worse do to all the hardware

4 minutes ago, KTM Mike 350 xcf-w said:

I've been trying to reanimated the crash in my head over and over and it's hard to say the exacts. I think my foot placement gets out of its normal spot by the time my foot gets caught between my bike and the ground, but hard to say since it happens so fast.
The toes do have a "toe kick" that sticks out that I'm thinking may be catching the ground and pulling it out.
How has the recovery been on your second break and how did you break em?
I got 2 plates and 7 screws on the last break and am thinking another break may be much worse do to all the hardware

My breaks have been over the course of many years, the older I get the longer it take to heel. Follow up xrays can be disappointing.  Mine have been from riding swift in the deep woods, vegetation hiding stuff that grabs your foot. Never as a result of falling.  Came to conclusion have glass ankles and strong knees, been told "that shoulda took your knee out" by docs and techs. I try harder to keep my feet in and well positioned. example I wear holes in cast clutch covers gripping with my feet.  

I've broken both feet and trashed one ankle trying to counter a throw against a high level Judo player...I'm currently riding in Sidi Crossfire 3 SRS boots and Mag-1's on the street. Hopefully I never have to find out how well the crossfire's protect but the Mag-1's have already been crash tested and performed beautifully.

• Like 1

I've broken both feet and trashed one ankle trying to counter a throw against a high level Judo player...I'm currently riding in Sidi Crossfire 3 SRS boots and Mag-1's on the street. Hopefully I never have to find out how well the crossfire's protect but the Mag-1's have already been crash tested and performed beautifully.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into both boots. I also have a kawasaki ninja that I ride street with and need some good street boots too.

Your x-ray is very close to what my left ankle looked like last year four months before Romaniacs.  I got my Dr's ok and ended up stress fracturing it in again Romania.  I am an old fart so I heal like a dinosaur...   My break was not from crashing the bike but actually dismounting it from a dead stop on the trail.  My foot had too much grip as I pivoted my right leg over the seat and that side stress rolled me into the break.  I am using Sidi Crossfire II SRS now where as before I had some cheap Fox's.  I think Qubo2408 is spot on that you maybe experiencing too much grip during those situations as that was what occurred to me with the similar break.  All Sport Dynamics makes an in the boot ankle brace, the Ortho MX-2, you might think about.  Hope you heal quickly and do get a reoccurrence.

Look at Ankle Saver foot pegs, I have had a few really good ankel sprains over the years, once both at the same time as a result of a really hard flat landing.  Ankel savers will not resolve all potential injury but will help reduce the possibility.  I have them on both of my bikes and love em!  

Sorry I did not read your entire post before I wrote.  Still worth looking at.  

Edited by Bill_B

Maybe try bailing a little earlier in the crash, its been a long time since I have had the bike get on of my legs. If you are pretty sure you can't save it just pitch the bike. Plastics are cheaper than doctors bills.

• Like 2

I bailed and landed on me feet which snapped a talus in the new crossfire 3. Sidi is way too flimsy and folded around the hinge. Sidis hold no med cert. I will only wear tech 10 now...

Got some lightly used crossfire 3 for sale if anyone wants to buy them :devil:

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 1

I bailed and landed on me feet which snapped a talus in the new crossfire 3. Sidi is way too flimsy and folded around the hinge. Sidis hold no med cert. I will only wear tech 10 now...
Got some lightly used crossfire 3 for sale if anyone wants to buy them :devil:

Damn I'm surprised to hear that. I love my sidi's and have never noticed any flimsiness.