525 starter issues

So after I done a valve adjustment my electric starter no longer starts the bike. It actually sounds as tough my battery is flat, which it isn't because I've tested it and it reads 12.44v. Before I adjusted the valves they were super tight, so tight I couldn't get any movement out of them. I tested the voltage as the starter is engaged and the voltage drops to 2.8 ish and slowly drops. Is that normal?

It sounds as though the battery is on its last legs.  Does the engine kick start OK?  Another potential issue is that if the exhaust valve clearance is too loose the auto decompression release may not properly activate.

Yeah bike kick starts ok not great but ok. Before I adjusted the valves it would start in 1 or 2 kicks but like I said the was zero clearance on them then. I might have another go at the valves. Back to the battery though, should the voltage drop like that when I use the electric start?

Go back to the last thing you did, recheck your valves. 

Go back to the last thing you did, recheck your valves. 

Yeah that's the plan. Just unsure about the volage on the battery dropping like that once the starter is engaged

I'm no electrical engineer, but if there is a high load on the starter it's going to take more amps to turn over.

Did you lock the crank at TDC to adjust the valves?  If so, you may have adjusted at TDC on the overlap stroke and not the compression stroke.  Adjusting on the overlap stroke will result in valves that are way too loose and make the bike difficult to start.

Many, including me, use this method:  

Edited by cobra46
  • Like 1