Street legal KX 250

I've recently acquired an itch to have a Street legal machine in my garage without shelling out another couple thousand for a ready to go bike. I've got a 2000 KX 250 and wanted to Street legal it. I live in Utah so here we need mirrors, horn, turn signals, headlight/taillight, plate, speedo and what not. Is there a specific kit that I can get like the tusk kit for the KDX's? I've seen the Baja one, but I don't feel like spending all that money to just get it Street legal. Is there any cheap ways to acquire all of these parts? Also, I know if I can get a kit they mostly all come with a battery to mount in the Air box for the lighting, but if I were to somehow buy all the parts separately for cheaper, how could I go about powering everything and connecting it to the brakes and engine? Positive feedback would be awesome, thanks!

If any of you have been in the same boat as me and have actually done this please post pics and explain how you did it with total cost of possible.

There is no kit to do it all for the KX.

Steahly used to make a light kit that ran off the power jet wire on the carb. but I am not seeing it on their site anymore. You best option I think is to do a complete loss system and run it all off a battery. Its going to be a custom kit, and will require research and a bit of know how to get it all done.

• Like 1

Steahly used to make a light kit that ran off the power jet wire on the carb. but I am not seeing it on their site anymore. You best option I think is to do a complete loss system and run it all off a battery. Its going to be a custom kit, and will require research and a bit of know how to get it all done.

Just checked to confirm and no they don't have a lighting kit for my bike anymore, but they do have a stator for $120. Would I be able to run blinkers, lights, and horn? Also, is there a way to incorporate electrical start with this new stator? I know it's a long shot, but there's been a few times where electric start would've been handy to have..

That's awesome they have a lighting coil now. That must be fairly new. I gave up on looking for one. Should be able to run everything off of it, I am not an electrical guy so I have no idea how well 50W will run everything. I think this is around the stock output of a 4 stroke enduro bike like a WR450 or CRF450x. So with some decent LED lights you should be fine.

No dice on an electric start. Much more complicated than just adding a power coil.

Edited by freeriders98

That's awesome they have a lighting coil now. That must be fairly new. I gave up on looking for one. Should be able to run everything off of it, I am not an electrical guy so I have no idea how well 50W will run everything. 
No dice on an electric start. Much more complicated than just adding a power coil.

Ya I thought I'd see if anyone new anything on the e start. It'd be nice, but as long as I can get my lights hooked up to legalize it without shelling out thousands for a decent Street bike.

Yeah for an e start you would need a starter motor and everything, somewhere to mount the starter motor and the cases and motor  set-up to receive a starter.

Yeah for an e start you would need a starter motor and everything, somewhere to mount the starter motor and the cases and motor  set-up to receive a starter.

Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, freeriders98 said:

It still shows on their site.  Their search sucks though.

https://www.steahlyoffroad.com/powerjet-lighting-kit-l-4l-5

I like the twins, but the steahly kit comes with like 10w bulbs instead of the 35w that normally come with the UFO light.  Led is the future man.  

Good to know. 

Although now with a lighting coil option, I don't think the power jet kit is even worth it. I don't think it even puts out half of what the lighting coil does. 

Good to know. 
Although now with a lighting coil option, I don't think the power jet kit is even worth it. I don't think it even puts out half of what the lighting coil does. 

Considering the lighting coil puts out 40w more I'm just gonna go with that. The fact that the pj setup comes with a head and tail light is cool but I've still gotta power blinkers and a horn and unless I put a back up battery it may not be enough. Plus I planned on swapping my carb for a lectron anyways so looks like I'll be going with the coil and just buying cheap eBay parts to be legal for now. I'll update when I start the project cuz if any of you know about electricity I may need the input

Blinkers, tail/brake and horn won't draw much at all. The Headlight is the big draw. And now with LED's getting so good this is less of an issue. But I agree. Do the coil and piece together the rest.