Sign in to follow this  

06 KX65 Rebuild - Wrench Rabbit Kit?

So I just picked up a complete 2006 KX65 for my son. Paid $250 for it!!! Top end had 20 hrs on it when the crank seized. So I will be doing a complete rebuild as well as sending the cylinder off to be replated. No cylinder damage, but the coating looks thin, especially around the ports. 

My main question is does anyone have experience with the Wrench Rabbit kit? It's $350 from Rocky Mountain for a complete top and bottom end. All parts, bearing, and gaskets/seals. Seems like a fair price as well as getting everything, instead of trying to piece together.

I have no experience with their kits but I would be concerned about the quality for that price.  Good parts should cost more than that.

From what I can tell it is all name brand parts, just all put into a convenient all in one package

Just looked this up. This is on RM for my bike.

Kit Includes:
-Vertex Piston Kit (standard compression piston, rings, pin and clips)
-Hot Rods Heavy Duty crank (stock stroke- includes wrist pin bearing for two strokes)
-Hot Rods main bearing/seal kit
-Hot Rods transmission bearing kit (includes transmission bearings, output shaft collar and sprocket lock washer)
-Hot Rods counter balancer bearing kit
-Hot Rods water pump bearing and seal kit
-Vertex complete gaskets kit, including seals and O-ring kit (covers top and bottom)
-Hot Cams cam chain (for 4-stroke models)

I'm sure the crank and piston parts would be fine but after having a few issues with aftermarket gaskets bearings and seals I will only use oem going forward.  Except for cometic gaskets they have been good for me

That's good stuff in that kit. Although oem cranks are best, I've been happy with the 2 Hot Rods cranks I've had. And Vertex is oem on some of manufacturers' pistons.

I also have concern with the main bearings, even in Hot Rods cranks kits. I went ahead and spent a little extra and bought the Koyo bearings. But truth be told, there is no way to know for sure where the bearing comes from. All you can do is run it. My HR kit had bearings stamped "Taiwan" on them, which obviously scared me. But the local bearing distributor told me even NTN (the best in the world, and oem on a lot of bikes) has a plant in Taiwan. So they may have been NTNs. So who knows?

I do 1-3 engines a week and put whatever customer wants in them. Probably 80% weisco crank kits with no problems. Have a kx65,yz85, yz125, here now with them. The bearings are rated 3 same as oem. Ktm 150 came yesterday and that's what's going in that. 

Edited by Motox367

2 hours ago, Motox367 said:

I do 1-3 engines a week and put whatever customer wants in them. Probably 80% weisco crank kits with no problems. Have a kx65,yz85, yz125, here now with them. The bearings are rated 3 same as oem. Ktm 150 came yesterday and that's what's going in that. 

Any experience with the Hot Rod cranks in the little bikes?

3 hours ago, Motox367 said:

All people see is the price.  No consideration of the actual quality of the parts they're paying for.  A crank is a crank right?

Not a great place to try to save $100 if you ask me.  Do it right or don't do it.

1 hour ago, turbo dan said:

All people see is the price.  No consideration of the actual quality of the parts they're paying for.  A crank is a crank right?

Not a great place to try to save $100 if you ask me.  Do it right or don't do it.

I hear you there but long as you keep filter clean and run 32:1 havnt seen any problems.  And some fast riders.  I just put in what they want 

1 hour ago, freeriders98 said:

Any experience with the Hot Rod cranks in the little bikes?

Yes I think it comes down to like I said keeping filter clean use good oil and run 32:1 on small bores. That's what I tell every one that leaves.  Keep dirt out and they last 👍

• Like 1

That is the highest priority.  Good oil, proper filter servicing.  Problem is that Wiseco's have been known to grenade with very little hours on them and sometimes in ways that would not be possible with proper metallurgy and materials.  Crank halves should not break off between the counterweight and main bearing under any circumstances.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

That is the highest priority.  Good oil, proper filter servicing.  Problem is that Wiseco's have been known to grenade with very little hours on them and sometimes in ways that would not be possible with proper metallurgy and materials.  Crank halves should not break off between the counterweight and main bearing under any circumstances.

Oh havnt seen that yet 

Here ya go. I've posted this before, but tbh I never tire of this pic [emoji4]

Here's a Wiseco crank from a YZ125 I split for my neighbor.

image_zpscbiiqexi.jpg

Edit: this is a link from my photobucket account. I can't see it in the iPad app but can on the web view. Anyone know why?

Re: cranks.[mention=1152]Dan[/mention] are you referring to anything that's not OEM? I trust your judgment, a lot, but have heard nothing bad about the Hot Rods. And my own experience is the same. My boy's KX107 is on its 2nd HR crank. The first was only replaced because the idiot who last built the motor didn't proper tighten the primary retaining nut and it stripped all the threads off the crank and filled the oil and bearings with metal shavings.

I rode the CRAP out of that little bike, wrung its neck everywhere I went (I'm 130 lbs so I had to) for 3 years and had I'm sure over 100 hrs on it. And I had a bad crank seal, so it was even running lean for quite a while. I couldn't kill that little bike. Now, my boy just hit 30 hrs today on the full rebuild and it still screams. I occasionally do a few hill climbs with it to show him that it can be done on his bike, and it is scary fast still. I run Amsoil Interceptor at 40:1, but I have it jetted really rich.

1 hour ago, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

I've given up on photobucket. It blows.

Here's the pic...

IMG_0315.PNG

Seen alot of blown bent cranks but never ever one like that lol something must've caused that or like anything there's always ones that fail. I'm not saying weisco is best just that that's what most are having me put in. Personally I tried one in my 08 yz250 back when I was racing full time . Lasted most the season didn't think would. was racing 4 moto's and wensday practice . But I've always been hard on engines no matter what bike so I'm not that guy saying not to use something cause doesn't work for me. I was on the gas:ride: in spurts now lol in no way do i mean to tut my own horn just saying.  The wrench rabbit kit will work great rebiuld waterpump also is nice every time. Rarely ever see bad tranny bearings tho unless run low on oil . 🙄

Edited by Motox367

Ik this is of subject I apologize but thought you guys might like. This is a ktm 150 case's I'm taking to welding shop ritenow.I have them fill then I grind,file.  Hodrods crank went, piston broke went threw cases. It can happen to any brand this bike was rode all day by kids that didn't maintain airfilter maintenance 

20170605_100522.jpg