Hey guys,

I've had my wr450 for about 3 months now, and everything has been working fine, only some light carburetor done. Yesterday I let a younger kid use it, his riding skills are very basic and we only did some simple tracks, and when I got it back and went on my own I noticed 5th gear won't work; it will engage, but when you give it gas the engine revs making a weird noise and the bike does't move except for your initial inertia. I tried it a couple times, picking up speed and moving up to 5th, but it kept doing the same thing and I didn't want to force it.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

3rd and 5th pinion gears and a center shift fork.

Somewhere along the way your bike had probably been dropped on the shifter hard,  it led to a bent shift fork which causes the 3rd and 5th pinion gear to not engage fully.    As they slip in and out the dogs on the teeth of 3rd round off and wear the raised area of the 5th down.  eventually they will just slip past each other.  This is where you are now.

Pull the motor,  split the cases and replace the worn parts.   If you caught it early enough the damage will be limited to the parts I mentioned right up front.   

I just did mine 3 weeks ago for the same issue,   about $ 250 in parts with a gasket kit and a set of rings ( do them,  you're in there ).

Here is a pic of my old gears and shift fork next to the shaft with the replaced gears and shift fork just sitting in place.   You can see how little wear it takes to make this happen.

DO NOT RIDE IT ANYMORE,   at this point it's grinding away at itself and spreading metal throughout your motor.

thesearetheparts.jpg

Edited by Pinepig
  • Like 2

Hey Pinepig, thanks for your answer! That seems very spot on, the bike did fall on its side with the shift lever while riding that day... I'm still very new to this, so I'll be taking it to the shop :p. I'll get back to you to tell you what it was!