200 more power or just need a 300?

I have an 08 200 xcw that I've put about 20 hours on of trail riding so far. Bike is best in the tight single track and downhill but low end grunt and long steep hill climbs are where it suffers. I've been thinking of getting a 300 for that low end tractor power and power for the hill climbs but was wondering if this is something I could get out of the 200? Or is this more of a pick your poison thing. Jetting on the bike is currently 162 main with a 42 pilot and air screw 1/2 turn out, not sure on the needle. PV is turned out as far as I can to get in the power band early. I llive in Calgary Alberta so elevation is about 3500 feet with 20 degress celsius temp on average. Thanks for the help.

Head mod is a good place to start, fairly inexpensive too. 

My 200 loves hills.  

Edited by poldies4

I'd see about optimizing the jetting before buying another bike. My 200 will just about idle up anything I am brave enough to try, at 7000 feet. But that is after a lot of tuning. When I bought it, it was like a 125 MX bike. Nothing down low and a huge hit in the midrange. It is completely opposite now, and a lot more useful in the woods.

That's kind of what I'm wondering is if the jetting is off. The low end is good but when it gets high it seems to run out of power. The PV is backed way off so that's how I want it but It does feel off when its WOT. Would looking at the clip height be something for this? Or the main jet maybe.

4 hours ago, Onzalimey said:

I have an 08 200 xcw that I've put about 20 hours on of trail riding so far. Bike is best in the tight single track and downhill but low end grunt and long steep hill climbs are where it suffers. I've been thinking of getting a 300 for that low end tractor power and power for the hill climbs but was wondering if this is something I could get out of the 200? Or is this more of a pick your poison thing. Jetting on the bike is currently 162 main with a 42 pilot and air screw 1/2 turn out, not sure on the needle. PV is turned out as far as I can to get in the power band early. I llive in Calgary Alberta so elevation is about 3500 feet with 20 degress celsius temp on average. Thanks for the help.

ditch the ktm needle and get a suzuki needle

search spanky's jetting guide and set the air screw correctly and test the main 

what pipe are you running ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kxrob said:

I didn't catch the air screw being 1/2 turn out the first time I read it.

OP, I agree with the others, get your jetting dialed first.  Mods fall flat when the basics aren't on point.

13 minutes ago, kxrob said:

I followed this advise on my sons 15 200 XCW and it is a completely different bike now. I was very disappointed originally with the bike but now we love it.

• Like 1

I might have a powervalve issue now that I look into it a little more. Going to check that tonight and go from there.