Can I just JB Weld my kids front brake lever back together?

I've looked and called everywhere and nobody has these suzuki front brake levers in stock.

Tired of telling my kids they can't ride their lil JR50 for safety reasons, I had an idea today, which is the subject of this post. I think I have exhausted all other options so might as well try it right? Sure beats waiting weeks for a parts shipment to arrive before they can ride again.

14961730501221760164176.jpg

It could fail and leave your boy with no front brake. Probably when he needs it most...

• Like 1

Epoxy will not work. Buy a new lever, get a couple. You might be able to take the lever to different brand stores and if the parts guy has half a brain, might be able to match it up.

• Like 1

I plan on buying at least 3 levers so this situation doesn't stop our fun again. I was just wondering for the interim.

Edited by tyler90

maybe put some bark busters on it as well - less chance of breaking the levers

• Like 2

No jb weld on the levers, unless you really regret not getting an abortion on those children

• Like 1

Loosen the housing, just a little bit, where it clamps to the handlebar. It's better to have the whole thing rotate, than to break a lever. You can always rotate it back by hand. You can also slide the assembly inward, away from the grip, so the lever doesn't stick out past the bar end.

edit: Never mind moving the assembly inward. I forgot that those bikes have the brake perch and throttle assembly as 1 unit.

Edited by Texan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Texan said:

Loosen the housing, just a little bit, where it clamps to the handlebar. It's better to have the whole thing rotate, than to break a lever. You can always rotate it back by hand. You can also slide the assembly inward, away from the grip, so the lever doesn't stick out past the bar end.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: And remember, it does not have to be a Suzuki lever.

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: And remember, it does not have to be a Suzuki lever.

What other levers (besides the KDX50's) should work? I don't have any brick and mortar bike shops for ~100 miles

NO, please dont do that. It makes a hazard for your kid. Both has the potential to fail, and potential for sharp points that can puncture or cut his hand when it fails. 

I am a Huge JB weld fan, I fixed a cracked case on a Honda quad once and it held indefinitely, but I would never fix a piece of safety gear. It needs to be a new part. You can usually find that stuff on eBay cheap and it gets to you pretty quick. Good luck with it. 

• Like 1

ANything with the same size handlebar, in a throttle/brake combo would work. quick search on the internet, I found a bunch of yamahas that look like they'd work

• Like 1

I just got home and I actually have that handle. Are you in the US, I'm in North Carolina. Text me at(910) 478-5454. I can send it to you but you pay shipping. Mine came off a Suzuki jr80 

image.jpg

• Like 1

NO to epoxy! If its a problem to obtain new levers please alum weld it back atleast. Then use a file and smoothen it out. I havd done this successfully a numbrr if times on my rm 125. Im on asvs now but the lever is still usuable to this day. No epoxy !!

• Like 2

Thanks you guys. I ended up buying like 5 levers when I found them for cheap. Its good to know that there are other options though, and that JB is a terrible idea hahaha