Is 2-Stroke Cylinder Porting a Black Art?

We asked our very own Tom Morgan if he thought 2-Stroke Cylinder porting was a black art or a science and a bunch of other questions. What do you guys think? 

Skill, knowledge, proper tooling and experience. So yeah, a 'black art' ;)

Porting is pure science when compared to suspension, that is as much expertise of the shop followed by ability to sense, interpret and define what is good or bad by the rider. What works for one guy often is not right for another./ But a properly built engine is right for anyone (assumingi the y are a good enough rider to appreciate the change)

• Like 2

Back in the early 70s we used to port the kawi triples all the time. I had a 500 that would blow away a stock Z1. Very pipey, and scary as hell to ride.

• Like 1

I don't know if he did the port work on my 295 kit, but somebody at Millennium did a great job with it!

I may end up sending y'all my ZR550 one day to punch it out to 615 and plate the cylinders if the cost isn't too bad.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, William1 said:

Skill, knowledge, proper tooling and experience. So yeah, a 'black art' ;)

Porting is pure science when compared to suspension, that is as much expertise of the shop followed by ability to sense, interpret and define what is good or bad by the rider. What works for one guy often is not right for another./ But a properly built engine is right for anyone (assumingi the y are a good enough rider to appreciate the change)

I love it when people offer the "correct" suspension setting......

17 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Very very black. Most "porting" guys are incompetent.

Making the hole bigger isn't enough? What? Lol...

Edited by Chip@MillenniumTech
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Larry02ACR said:

I don't know if he did the port work on my 295 kit, but somebody at Millennium did a great job with it!

I may end up sending y'all my ZR550 one day to punch it out to 615 and plate the cylinders if the cost isn't too bad.

We would love to help! Glad the KX is running good. I love 295cc 2-Strokes! 

• Like 2