1993 cylinder

I just got a 1993 yz250 in a trade. It is rough but runs and is complete and best of all free. I'm going to restore it to its original glory. I noticed the cylinder has what appears to be a steel sleeve. I looked for other used cylinders and noticed that they also seem to be sleeved. If I recall, not all bikes of that era had the modern aluminum plated cylinder of today. Am I correct or is it an aftermarket sleeve? Bore is .5 mm over stock. 

I think after the very late 80's they started sleeving them, most important don't put the big rounded front fender on it, I hear yea on original but man that that fender vrs the new one looks terrible

The 93 yz250 has a nikasil coated cylinder. I do not know of any modern 2 stroke Yamaha with a steel sleeve. That bottom end was used from 89-98 so any cylinder from those years will work (with the proper power valve, pipe, and carb boot).

On 5/30/2017 at 7:18 PM, Bricktop72 said:

The 93 yz250 has a nikasil coated cylinder. I do not know of any modern 2 stroke Yamaha with a steel sleeve. That bottom end was used from 89-98 so any cylinder from those years will work (with the proper power valve, pipe, and carb boot).

How about the crank? Were they the same through those years? Even though the part numbers differ? I need a crank due to damaged threads and have a line on a 1996 crank. Will it work?

7 hours ago, 73effie said:

How about the crank? Were they the same through those years? Even though the part numbers differ? I need a crank due to damaged threads and have a line on a 1996 crank. Will it work?

I have never personally put a 96 crank in older cases, but to the best of my knowledge all cranks from 89-98 are interchangeable. 

According to Partzilla, any crank from a WR or YZ will fit from 1991 to 1993. That doesn’t mean the 1996 won’t, but there may be other parts you need.