Baja DR70 top triple clamp or compatible?

Hello all,

just found this site while looking for compatible replacement plastics and it looks like a great resource with a lot of knowledge.

I recently came into a DR70 for free (in the trash) and started restoring it and of all the parts I needed (and bought already) I cannot find just the top triple clamp which is completely bent beyond repair.

Is the triple clamp compatible with any other models? Lifan looks close but can't find any measurements to compare.

Trying to avoid replacing the entire tree and save some $ since the rest of the fork is decent.

Kinda going nuts here since this is the last piece of the puzzle and it's a very elusive piece to find.

busted.jpg

If the OD of the fork leg uppers is 27mm, you could look on eBay for a set of older XR70 or CRF70 triple clamps, they should be easy to come by. Trying to find a direct replacement top triple for the DR70 could prove to be very difficult, unless you contact Baja and see if they can help you. The XR/CRF steering stem should be the same as the DR70. There is a set on eBay right now...

2007 CRF70 triple tree fork clamps

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dirtbkr188 said:

If the OD of the fork leg uppers is 27mm, you could look on eBay for a set of older XR70 or CRF70 triple clamps, they should be easy to come by. Trying to find a direct replacement top triple for the DR70 could prove to be very difficult, unless you contact Baja and see if they can help you. The XR/CRF steering stem should be the same as the DR70. There is a set on eBay right now...

2007 CRF70 triple tree fork clamps

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry but I'm not too familiar with fork terms, is that the OD from the outside of the fork leg to the other? If so, these are about 20cm, and the ID (center of screw to the other) is 15cm.

This clamp seems to have larger holes than most of the other ones for the fork, the bolts are very wide (pic attached).

Head tube hole: 28mm, fork holes: 25mm. There's an 8mm distance diagonally from fork hole to the head tube hole.

The CRF stuff looks small but it just may be the images are deceiving. I'll email the seller and ask.

I did try to contact Baja middle of last week but haven't heard back.

fork.jpg

Edited by gyromatical
corrected mm to cm

The Outer Diameter of the forks will be a bit smaller than the Inner Diameter of the holes they go through on the bottom triple clamp, as that where you got the 25mm measurement? If so, then the XR/CRF triples will not work, the forks are smaller by 2mm.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dirtbkr188 said:

The Outer Diameter of the forks will be a bit smaller than the Inner Diameter of the holes they go through on the bottom triple clamp, as that where you got the 25mm measurement? If so, then the XR/CRF triples will not work, the forks are smaller by 2mm.

I should've been more clear, the 25mm measurement is the width of the hole on the clamp for the fork.

My caliper seems to have gone missing at the moment so what you said sounds right, the fork arm width is probably about 23mm.

Each fork arm is spaced 17cm apart (OD). On the clamp the head tube is 8cm away (diagonally) from the fork arm holes.

width.thumb.jpg.82a5b1e6f1a8d8119791784b47292026.jpg

forkwidth.jpg

If the fork legs are less than 27mm, they will be too small for the XR/CRF70 triple clamps. On another note, why not try straightening the top triple you have? Remove the handlebars clamps so you can set the bent upper clamp upside down on the flat part of a bench vise. You would then need a piece of round steel stock and hammer to flatten the crease in the clamp, using the round stock like a big punch to take the crease out. You would have to work at it, but I think it would straighten out enough for you to use it on the bike.

Edited by dirtbkr188
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dirtbkr188 said:

If the fork legs are less than 27mm, they will be too small for the XR/CRF70 triple clamps. On another note, why not try straightening the top triple you have? Remove the handlebars clamps so you can set the bent upper clamp upside down on the flat part of a bench vise. You would then need a piece of round steel stock and hammer to flatten the crease in the clamp, using the round stock like a big punch to take the crease out. You would have to work at it, but I think it would straighten out enough for you to use it on the bike.

Thanks, that's probably the best idea since I've literally been scouting out this piece for 4 days now.

I tried banging it out by using channel locks to hold it to 1/2" thick steel but it wasn't very pliable.

At this point I suppose I'll hand it over to a friend who can do it or see if the local machinist can do something.

I appreciate your help! Thank you.

23 hours ago, dirtbkr188 said:

I took your advice and had a friend over. We stuck it in my giant vice and hammered the crap out of it, took about 15 minutes to straighten it.... super strong steel.

There are some dents in it still, but it sits flush and everything is straight now. Most importantly, it's still structurally sound.

So, yes! At last it's straight! Many thanks again for the idea and ending my misery of searching for the part!

Here are some pics, maybe they'll be of use to someone in the future.

vice1.jpg

after.jpg

installed.jpg

installed2.jpg