Phone in hydration pack?

I have a fly XC hydro pack that has good storage for what it is. on trail rides i'd like to start taking my phone to take some videos of me and my dad riding. was wondering for you guys that carry your phone how scared are you of breaking it?

I store mine in my hydration pack, but keep it in its case. If my phone breaks, that means I probably crashed. If I crashed hard enough to break my phone, the broken phone will be the least of my problems.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

I store mine in my hydration pack, but keep it in its case. If my phone breaks, that means I probably crashed. If I crashed hard enough to break my phone, the broken phone will be the least of my problems.

That's how I look at it.... 

• Like 2

Ya I've got a nice fleece lined phone pocket in the outer top of my Camlbak MULE but I normally put the phone in a heavy duty zip lock bag cus IMO its more likely to get really wet than damaged in a crash. The MULE also has a built in rain cover but I never use it.

I ride in a lot of places where there is no cell service but I don't want to leave the phone in my van and if I'm riding new area's I run it as a back up GPS to my dedicated phone/GPS on my bar mount.

If you are really worried get a HARD Pelican (or something similar) that fit the phone and use an old sock or something around the phone if the case is too big.

• Like 1

Only take mine if it's a trail ride. Front pocket of my jeans.  Yes it's nice to wear just jeans after years of racing pants lol i do wear everything else just not riding pants with my knee braces on trail rides. Just cruise 

Just now, Motox367 said:

Only take mine if it's a trail ride. Front pocket of my jeans.  Yes it's nice to wear just jeans after years of racing pants lol i do wear everything else just not riding pants with my knee braces on trail rides. Just cruise 

Jeans?! How boring. I look like the red Power Ranger. :lol:

• Like 2

Just now, cjjeepercreeper said:

Jeans?! How boring. I look like the red Power Ranger. :lol:

Lol :thumbsup:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

If you are alone. The broken phone IS a big problem 

• Like 2

I like to have access to my phone if I have it with me.  Most rides I use my phone for GPS, music piped into my helmet com. And to keep in touch with the my wife so she knows I'm ok.   I just like to have access to it. I have it mounted on the bars with ram mounts and the phone case I bought on eBay it's pretty heavy duty, has a full rubber silicone liner and I've had a lot of crashes and the phone has never taken any damage. Now there is the chance if the bike flips and hits a huge rock, but I figure the chance of that happening are low.  When ever the bike is dropped and laid down on the side the phone is no were near contact with the the ground.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

I have a fly XC hydro pack that has good storage for what it is. on trail rides i'd like to start taking my phone to take some videos of me and my dad riding. was wondering for you guys that carry your phone how scared are you of breaking it?

I'm always more scared of drowning it than smashing it. I do have the iPhone 7 so that's not an issue anymore, plusI have a LifeProof case on it and I've dropped it enough to not worry about smashing it.

If something hits your phone hard enough to smash it to bits, chances are nothing would have protected it. 

A cracked phone sometimes still works; a soaked one usually doesn't.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bill_B said:

I like to have access to my phone if I have it with me.  Most rides I use my phone for GPS, music piped into my helmet com. And to keep in touch with the my wife so she knows I'm ok.   I just like to have access to it. I have it mounted on the bars with ram mounts and the phone case I bought on eBay it's pretty heavy duty, has a full rubber silicone liner and I've had a lot of crashes and the phone has never taken any damage. Now there is the chance if the bike flips and hits a huge rock, but I figure the chance of that happening are low.  When ever the bike is dropped and laid down on the side the phone is no were near contact with the the ground.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Answer those messages, I've been trying to reach you for days. Lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

In the last six or eight years of riding with it on the bars, no issues. Three times in the pack the screen was scratched from rubbing against stuff. 

I put my phone in an old goggle case so it doesn't get scratched in backpack.

On 5/30/2017 at 4:39 PM, Motox367 said:

Ya I recently got a plated DRZ and I'm loving being able to ride to from my house to the trails or just on the roads

Went for a ride on the weekend in my running shoes, jeans, tee shirt and helmet BUT there is no way I'm carrying my phone in my jeans pocket, hence my slimmed down pack. With that said I do have a fender bag BUT its strapped down so tight I would not put my phone in it with out a complete hard case.

If I don't want to wear a pack I wear one of my jackets with secure pockets (IMO best is a chest pocket) for my phone.

Otherwise, when I'm using my dedicated phone/GPS I made this mount and IMO works extremely well cus the case is somewhat hard and it can rotate if it hits a branch etc.

20160515_102848.thumb.jpg.ecbb3b3e31291e558e30037a41dce225.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bill_B said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'd be shitscared of doing that. But you reckon it works well?

Will have to set something up similar, I want to do more DS riding.