Sign in to follow this  

Rotella T 15-40 replaced by T-4 15-40 oil ?

So, I ran out of my last gallon of Rotella T 15-40 yesterday. So today, I mosey on over to Walmart and to grab another white one gallon jug for $13.00. To my surprise, the white jug is now called T-4 15-40 triple protection.  It's still non synthetic, it's still in a white jug. It is still rated Jaso MA .  

Also there was the jug of T-6 Synthetic for $23.00  No thanks..

There was also a jug of T-5 Synthetic Blend. I almost bought that at $15.00 per jug, but on the back there was NO Jaso MA rating. So it must have friction reducers in it. 

Anyone know if the new T-4 14-40 is as good as the old T-15-40? 

Edited by Rob Bayless

Yeah Rotella T-4 is the new designation of Rotella T. It was re-named for a more understandable progression of oil quality denomination. Also potentially a different formula. Shell re-names their oils waaaay too frequently. I deal with it in the heavy marine industry too often. As long as it is JASO MA rated it can be used with wet clutches

why are you buying it by the gallon for $13 and not by the 5 gallon pail for $40?

At the first of the year there was a change in antiwear additives so the T4 is different from the T but should be OK for tranny/clutch.

I always liked the clutch action of the T oil in XRs but there are other options for engines like 2Ts (and some 4Ts) that have a separate  tranny/clutch. ATF is a gear oil for wet clutches and a lot of 2T owners use it.  Also different oils can change how the clutch works. Thinner oils have less drag and faster engagement, thicker the opposite. Dextron types provide smoother hookup. My Trials bike specs a very thin synthetic gear oil that is difficult to find, and expensive, so I use Valvoline Dextron VI synthetic; no drag, fast/smooth hookup, and avail at local auto parts store.  Worked so good I started using it in my CRF250X. Regular ATF is about a 30wt oil, the Valvoline Dextron VI about a 0W-40.