2010 Yz450f Supermoto Build

I have a yz450f 2010 and need help making a catch can for the rad/ crank breather. Where do I run the hoses from? I legit know nothing about catch cans and how they are supposed to be routed. Thanks in advanced!

12 hours ago, YzfLogan said:

I have a yz450f 2010 and need help making a catch can for the rad/ crank breather. Where do I run the hoses from? I legit know nothing about catch cans and how they are supposed to be routed. Thanks in advanced!

You may have to do some Googling around. But basically you look for the open end of the oil breather from the head and the open end of the radiator overflow hose. One end goes in to a canister and one end goes out. 

IMG_3878.JPG

https://www.btosports.com/p/motion-pro-coolant-recovery-tank/option/57-10099?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gs_allproducts&utm_content=18478794385&utm_term=&matchtype=&adposition=1o3&device=m&adtype=pla&product_id=57-10099&product_country=US&gclid=CJrs1eGcmtQCFYcCaQod9DYJHw

Edited by stevethe

On my 11 I routed the breather to the airbox with no issues. There was actually a blocked off fitting already there for it. Motion pro makes a radiator recovery bottle if you dont want to make your own.

• Like 1

Thought I should just do updates I guess maybe people want to see..? still haven't tried to do any catch cans. But got my wheels and tubes... my rear tire is taking a long time to come in...

9078DEE6-9F7D-4B14-87B9-4F63B6D10ACD.jpg

• Like 1

Most times catch can's aren't needed on the valve cover breather if it's routed to the airbox (even for track usage).  Only caveat is if the bike is dumped on it's side or inverted check the airbox to make sure you haven't filled it with oil.  It's just general maintenance stuff, when you check the air filter for condition look for oil in the airbox and clean as necessary.

If you didn't want to go through the hassle of creating a coolant overflow bottle (which is pretty easy imo), then you can source some parts from the WR and route the hoses like they've got.

Next sprocket change you might want to consider going to a steel sprocket setup.  Aluminum sprockets don't last very long on these bikes.  What gearing are you set to use?  I had a 15/43 on my 04 WR450 and it would hum along pretty happily at 120 km/hr without really stressing the motor too much... however it was twitchy during passing manoeuvres.  

I don't see a cush drive on the rear hub, so be cautious and feather your clutch a bit on downshifts to minimize transmission wear.

Most times catch can's aren't needed on the valve cover breather if it's routed to the airbox (even for track usage).  Only caveat is if the bike is dumped on it's side or inverted check the airbox to make sure you haven't filled it with oil.  It's just general maintenance stuff, when you check the air filter for condition look for oil in the airbox and clean as necessary.

If you didn't want to go through the hassle of creating a coolant overflow bottle (which is pretty easy imo), then you can source some parts from the WR and route the hoses like they've got.

Next sprocket change you might want to consider going to a steel sprocket setup.  Aluminum sprockets don't last very long on these bikes.  What gearing are you set to use?  I had a 15/43 on my 04 WR450 and it would hum along pretty happily at 120 km/hr without really stressing the motor too much... however it was twitchy during passing manoeuvres.  

I don't see a cush drive on the rear hub, so be cautious and feather your clutch a bit on downshifts to minimize transmission wear.

I'm most likely going to be making my own rad catch can. I'm going to talk to my league about if I need a catch can for the breather.

I won't be putting this bike on the road it will be a strictly track bike, the tracks near me a small and very fast so I'm going to be running 14/45 gearing. My bike is EFI so I can also adjust the mapping for different tracks.

Lastly couldn't afford a Cush drive hub, this is my first supermoto build so I should be fine. But thanks for all the info getting more parts on Monday so I'll post stuff next week or next weekend.
  • Like 1

If you're using your factory front brake caliper with an adapter on a brake intensive course (which yours sounds like it is), then make sure to swap/flush the brake fluid and only use Motul 660 and run HH sintered pads.  You're going to be demanding a lot from the factory caliper and you'll be introducing a LOT of heat into the system.. I found even Motul 600 will show signs of boiling the brake fluid on hot laps.

If you ever get out to Victoria BC, bring your sumo.  We run a sumo race series here from April-September.

Oh, what tires are you using?  I primarily run Michelin Power Supermoto slicks (soft front, med rear) which are nice because you don't necessarily need tire warmers on warmer days and you'll get about a season out of a set.  Other notables are Metzler Racetec (soft front, med rear) which again as long as your easy on them for a couple laps can do pretty good without warmers but tend to not last as long as the Michelins.  If you're running Dunlop slicks, ONLY run warmers.. they're EXTREMELY slippery without them.

I will definitely do the pad and fluid change thanks for the tip!

I'm out in London, Ontario but hopefully sometime I can go out to BC always wanted to!

I'm running the Michelin Supermoto slicks (both med) good to hear I'll get a season outta them cuz they're pricy haha

Good choice on tires, you'll enjoy them.  The Michelins provide a little audible feedback and shimmy before they break free, rather than the Metzler/Dunlops which stay pretty much silent until you've pushed them too far.

This was my last seasons 04 WR:

Apr%2019%20SM%20track%2001_zpshu6godua.j

Which was replaced recently with a 09 RMZ

• Like 1

I went with them because I heard good things, I can't see your picture for some reason it tells me to update my account to enable 3rd party hosting??

This is my bike last year.. but I thought this year to go in Sumo instead
IMG_0034.JPG

• Like 2

You can buy a motion pro recovery tank for the radiator. Easier than DYI or trying to source WR parts. 14/45 is pretty tall on these bikes so you should be good unless you are doing full size road courses. Start looking for a brake upgrade. I can cook the stocker even with good fluid and pads in less than 5 laps on a kart track. Michellin are great but others are good too. I have been running Dunlops without warmers and havent died yet!

Got some tires on, they're just road tires.. my slicks are on back order running a yz85 front fender because I like the new design Yamaha fender

IMG_0489.JPG

• Like 1

Nice I use to run an 85 fender. The 14 is good depending on the track. I usually run a 14/48 and I run out of gear low 80s probably but that is perfect for the small kart tracks I run. 14/45 will put you probably mid 90s for top speed. I would only go taller tham that though for street duty or big tracks as first gear starts to get really tall.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YzfLogan said:

Are you saying your speed in kph or mph mike?

MPH.  None of that communist metric crap!

• Like 1

IMG_0533.JPG

Am I doing something wrong or is this the wrong relocation bracket? I've been trying to figure this out for 30 minutes

Wrong bracket. I would guess that is the bracket for the pre 08 forks with the larger spacing.

• Like 1

Wheels are on ordered the new bracket, just gotta take a couple links out of my chain and make a new case saver cuz there wasn't enough clearance for the 14 sprocket. The clearance is pretty close everywhere haha especially with the 5" rear and 160 tire

IMG_0542.JPG