Bike for wife? Suggestions used Freeride or 200 xcw?

Looking for a bike for my wife.  She is about 12 rides in and has been riding my "old" 2012 350 xcf now for sale.  I am riding a TX 300 and loving it.  The bottom line is that the 350 xcf is too big, too heavy and too powerful.  It's tight ratio, tight gearing and pulls hard, she has trouble standing without whisky throttle.  It has seems to have much more hit and power than a 350 xcw or exc.  I have ridden many of those.  I also want a bike she can grow into a bit.  We tried a 230 and some similar bikes but they are heavy and seem a little lacking in some areas and feel like we would be selling it by the end of the summer.  So I think we are down to a 2015 KTM Freeride or a 2013 200 xcw both used.  I know totally different.  Any thoughts, she is a good athlete and mtn biker but still learning the moto.  We just ride single track that is semi technical.  I don't think she will ever be fast so I don't this the suspension and brakes are a deal killer.  I have ridden a few Freeride's and wasn't overly impressed with the brakes and suspension.  That being said it's light and lugs and lugs.  I just want her to have fun and keep riding. Freeride feels a little more like a novelty where the 200 feels more like a proper moto.  I am torn, she is torn.  At the end of the day this is a good 1st world problem to have.  She aren't many women riders here so it's hard to get feedback.  PS She is 5'9" and 135.   

I would go with the 200xcw out of those choices...  if she can ride your 350 she'll love the weight of the 200.. plus she won't likely ever need or want another bike....

• Like 1

If she's survived on the 350 this far then I think she'd be fine and more comfortable on either of those bikes. Never seen or ridden a Freeride but it seems like an oddity being a 2 stroke with no power valve, but both 2T should be able to lug through the rough and slow stuff fine (flywheel weight on the 200 XC-W preferred). The main difference looks to be the more linear throttle of the Freeride, but if the track opens up you can take off on the 200 and get on the pipe. They seem different enough that she should be able to tell within a test ride each which one should get more time. Just wondering but has she tried your TX 300?

I would suggest you consider the Beta Xtrainer. I just got one for my wife, coming off a 230F, and it's an awesome bike. I like riding it myself. It's a little taller than the 230, about 30#'s lighter, 300 motor with a power valve, excellent brakes, juice clutch.

beta511.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks people, beta x trainer would be perfect but it's a little out of the budget right now.  If she really goes for it that would be a perfect bike down the road. I think there will always be a market for for the 200.   I am leaning towards the 200 xcw since parts are easily available and it's the Toyota of motos.  The Freeride is so niche and expensive I think having forks seals done, finding spare air filters or other items in remote locations would be a tough.  Plus if/when she starts ripping a bit more the 200 has a bigger gas tank, parts I can swap or borrow off my other bikes as well as real brakes, wheels and suspension. If she progress's she will really be able to rip on the 200.  As cool as the Freeride is it will always be what it is a mix of a trails bike and a proper moto.  We could do a lot of work to the 200 including a rekluse and still come out $1,000 or $1,500 less than the Freeride.  She can pick up the 350 once or twice.  We did lay a 200 on the ground and that was noticeably easier for her to lift. 

Can't go wrong with the 200. You from Truckee? I used to live at Tahoe. You wouldn't happen to know Pat Dillon?

20 minutes ago, ktmtruckee said:

Thanks people, beta x trainer would be perfect but it's a little out of the budget right now.  If she really goes for it that would be a perfect bike down the road. I think there will always be a market for for the 200.   I am leaning towards the 200 xcw since parts are easily available and it's the Toyota of motos.  The Freeride is so niche and expensive I think having forks seals done, finding spare air filters or other items in remote locations would be a tough.  Plus if/when she starts ripping a bit more the 200 has a bigger gas tank, parts I can swap or borrow off my other bikes as well as real brakes, wheels and suspension. If she progress's she will really be able to rip on the 200.  As cool as the Freeride is it will always be what it is a mix of a trails bike and a proper moto.  We could do a lot of work to the 200 including a rekluse and still come out $1,000 or $1,500 less than the Freeride.  She can pick up the 350 once or twice.  We did lay a 200 on the ground and that was noticeably easier for her to lift. 

Well reasoned!    Only thing left to do is post the pics of the new bike....?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, drumiv said:

Can't go wrong with the 200. You from Truckee? I used to live at Tahoe. You wouldn't happen to know Pat Dillon?

Yep we are Truckee folks, I don't think I know Pat.  It's already getting dry and dusty here!

Thanks peeps.  2013 xcw 200 in the garage with 42 hours.  Now just getting her dialed.  Tires, sag, pipe guards, full wrap hand guards, JD kit, throttle cable is too short.  Lots of parts on the way.  Excited.

• Like 2

Happy wife, already heaps more comfortable on the 200 than she was on the 350 xcf.   Couldn't get her to stand at all on the 350.  Back yard test run, working out the bugs.  Ended up putting in a Rekluse for her too.  I can't wait to ride it... if she lets me.

2017-06-18 16.24.34-1.jpg

• Like 2