Hey guys I thought I would start a new thread on Alt forks. I just finished for a friend (98 up) Xr4 fork to 230F. This fork starts at 11in Travel I make PVC spacer 1in now Forks have 10in travel. Many mods to fit it but not bad as I have 3 more sets Xr4 forks found in shop. I wanted to do this because Im thinking less then half the cost of Cr85/150 fork. Test ride today very difficult as bike has stock rear shock junk. Its like the faster I go to try I only have split second  before I feel rear shock. So Im testing for today anyway. Hitting deep square edge stuff,and going over 1 to 2 ft concrete square edge. So far so good this bike only loaned test bike forks will go on other 230 with Xr250R rear shock. This fork has AL triple clamps and stem so the weight should be very close to 230 fork. Having had many years modding Xr4  forks this is a great trail fork hard to beat. They have 17mm Axel    43mm tubes very easy to work on.592e23c72944e_IMG_20170530_161434493xr4230f.jpg.081f1bc7fc0d387172900e4baf87d066.jpg

• Like 1

I've always thought these would make a great candidate for a fork swap on a 230. I just wondered what was needed to make the swap ie. stem swap , axle , rotor changes to make the complete swap?

• Like 1

230f brake bolt on no mods.  Xr4 triple clamps with XR650R stem sent to machine shop tuned down super strong. I cut springs myself  also simple pvc spacers to reduce travel. 98 up Xr4 stock spring perfect .40. 230 has 15mm axle/Xr4   17mm Axle.  For today I used xr4 wheel. You can use all Xr4 bearings collar and spacer in 230f wheel. As the Xr250(late) wheel fits the 230f. I have converted them to 17mm so should be easy change. I also did Shim stack mod 12 shim per side now 4 per side. 3Wt rear shock oil Im at 4 1/4 from top. That may change on feed back. They went from 11in travel to 10in. They clear the gas tank and work with frame fork stop.

• Like 2

Today 3 hours testing XR4 forked 230   V  My (2) Cr85 forked 230s. Test riders 115 pounds/165/240 pounds. As far as we can tell the Xr4 forks work great,but that bike still stock rear shock. I told both test riders  try to slam rocks/square edge ruts/  but focus on forks. So there working great all reported. There very easy to mod conv fork then the USD fork. One thing I will need to do (any comments on this appreciated)   Is remove some fork oil as I set all Xr4 forks to 4 1/4. I was told since I removed 1in travel now remove 3/8in oil.

Newb question:  Why did you shorten the travel?  Having a full length travel seems like it'd be one of the biggest advantages of going to an XR4 fork.

Owning both an XR400 and CRF230, and now being familiar with the performance capabilities of shim-stack-modded XR4 forks and Triplett modified 230 forks, swapping 400 forks onto the 230 has definitely crossed my mind.  The Triplett forks are great for how much money is invested (and the fact of how simple it is to do), but the 400 forks are faaaaar superior in every way for trail-type riding.  I'd definitely like to hear more detail about what it took to swap them over.

The only potential issue that'd worry me is the height gained from it.  A little bit would be nice, as I often bash the skid plate in the riding I do, but I don't want so much that the bike starts feeling tall.  Being a short bike is, I feel, one of the biggest advantages to the 230.

I feel like I remember the XR250 fork swap added ~1" to the overall ride height, along with the appropriate rear linkage mods to match.  I think 1" extra would be perfect.  Is the 400 fork swap roughly the same?

• Like 1

XR 250 fork 10in travel xr400 11in. I shortened travel to 10in because rider is short 5,6 he is a husky LA cop. Please keep in mind overall length (middle of axle to fork cap) Does not go by travel.Like 230 fork is 1/8 longer then Cr85 fork. Cr85 fork more travel also my bike sits up higher in the travel with that fork. My plan was to make 1 1/4 spacer to shorten travel. By me only doing 1in and pulling forks up in triple clamp.1-  1/8 in . Bike still sets up higher in triple clamp at least 1/2in or more. The cop and Friend will ride with me this Thursday till Sunday.I have a Xr4 wheel on front as Loaner. He is bringing me Xr4 bearings,seals.all wheel spacers/ to convert his 230f front wheel to Xr4 17mm axle.  I will to full report on Wheel conversion,riders test report. So far the difference 230 fork V xr400 you know the answer Magic. I may have 3 more sets available already converted.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2017 at 8:23 PM, bajatrailrider said:

Today 3 hours testing XR4 forked 230   V  My (2) Cr85 forked 230s. Test riders 115 pounds/165/240 pounds. As far as we can tell the Xr4 forks work great,but that bike still stock rear shock. I told both test riders  try to slam rocks/square edge ruts/  but focus on forks. So there working great all reported. There very easy to mod conv fork then the USD fork. One thing I will need to do (any comments on this appreciated)   Is remove some fork oil as I set all Xr4 forks to 4 1/4. I was told since I removed 1in travel now remove 3/8in oil.

What is the weight difference CR85 vs. XR400 forks?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

What is the weight difference CR85 vs. XR400 forks?

Both my 230s have Cr85 forks on so unable to weigh them. HAAAA dont have bathroom scale anyway. If one of you gets weight on Cr85 fork with triple clamps,and 15mm Axel. I  have 3 more sets Xr4 forks /triple clamps loose. I could try to see if local post office has scale.For me weight on Xr4 fork has to be heavier then Cr85 fork.More important xr4 V 230 since 230 is steel stem  and lower  clamp Im sure.More of a porker then Xr4 fork. 230 axle 15mm/Xr4 is 17mm.Xr4 spacers bearing center spacer installed in Crf230 wheel. Would be lighter as outer diameter same 230 inner diameter 2mm bigger (Xr4) so that would cancel weight of 17mm axle. Lifting up complete fork clamps 230/xr4   230 front end feels heavier.  This experiment was done to try cheaper Alt fork for 230 then $$$$$$ Cr85/150r fork.  So even if Xr4 fork slight bit more weight then Cr85  dont think it matters on Alt inexpensive fork. All mods on Xr4 fork could be done in most guys garage Except turning down Xr650r stem to fit Xr4 clamp. 

Some weights of fork w/ triples:

84 XR250R w/ brgs, dry (KYB 38C).............. 24.06
96-98 RM125/250 (Showa 49C)................... 27.91
96-02 CR80/85 USD (Showa 37U).................19.46
KTM85SX forks 43mm USD 10.8” travel.........19.75
90 XR200R w/ brgs (KYB 36C) ..................... 23.66
89 RM125 (KYB 46C)................................... 27.98
81 RM125 (KYB 38C)................................... 25.13
05 CRF230F f/ TT Blue Hawaii...................... 34.25
YZ85 forks (KYB) w triples & brake............... 21.85
YZ85 forks (KYB) w triples, no guards, est.... 19.39

• Like 2

Really interested in this - I just bought an 04 230, and I have a spare set of XR4 forks in the garage. I'm 6'5" and 260, so that with a different shock (84 or 85 XR350?) is what I'm thinking. Other than 1/16" of an inch on the 84 v 85 350 shock, is there anything else? Longer reservoir hose? Where is a good place to have the shock rebuilt? I'm in north Idaho - Coeur d'Alene area.

• Like 2

It seems like sliding an xr400 onto those xr4 forks would be a better fit for you, but it's also great to hear the little bike can do the work as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarkandtheBRP said:

Really interested in this - I just bought an 04 230, and I have a spare set of XR4 forks in the garage. I'm 6'5" and 260, so that with a different shock (84 or 85 XR350?) is what I'm thinking. Other than 1/16" of an inch on the 84 v 85 350 shock, is there anything else? Longer reservoir hose? Where is a good place to have the shock rebuilt? I'm in north Idaho - Coeur d'Alene area.

We have one 230 with 85 Xr350 shock it would work great for 260 pounds. Stock hose does work tight fit.

possibly a silly question, but do the xr4 fork slide into the 230f clamps?

11 hours ago, TheW0LF said:

possibly a silly question, but do the xr4 fork slide into the 230f clamps?

Thats not a silly question if you dont know but. Read my post  about mod to make Xr4 triple clamp work. The xr4 forks are 43mm so the tiny 230 triple clamp no go.

Today I got Xr4 front wheel bearings/seals/spacers/center spacer. I ran into a small glitch to install in 230 wheel all parts fit but the center spacer. It is about 1/4 too long. So I will have it turned down. Then report where im at.

Ok almost done on 230 front wheel to xr4 fork.The xr400 center spacer had to be shortened less then 1/4in. The Xr4  t outer wheel spacer (next to disk brake) moves disk slight bit to much over to Lt side. So I took a CRF 150R  rear axle spacer  Too wide had it turned down about 1/8in shorter. On Rt side Where speedo drive wheel spacer used to go. Easy two Xr4 Lt side wheel spacers.

• Like 1

Not to steal the thread or be an ass but why do you guys spend much time and effort on trying to make the 230 a lighter, better suspended bike. Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a crf250r? Just wondering

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AppDawg said:

Not to steal the thread or be an ass but why do you guys spend much time and effort on trying to make the 230 a lighter, better suspended bike. Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a crf250r? Just wondering

A crf250r is for competition on an MX track.

It's four inches longer and 3" taller with a five speed close ratio gear box and kick start.. Good for you if you can ride that on extreme single track and then cruise a hundred miles on the highway.

• Like 3

Ok, just watched a bunch of videos on YouTube. I get it. Looks like a fun bike! Keep on modding.

• Like 3