What chain and sprockets?

Hi guys. Almost time to change the original chain and sprockets. Just curious what brand people go for? There seems to be a fair amount of choice. I like the standard gearing, and want the lightest chain and sprockets you can get for the bike. What are you guys running/ would recommend? Thanks.

I have 170 hours/2900 miles on stock chain/sprockets -- on 300rr.   Just ordered DID VT2 chain, and 51T Ironman rear sprocket -- been happy with those on different bikes in past.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jviz1 said:

I have 170 hours/2900 miles on stock chain/sprockets -- on 300rr.   Just ordered DID VT2 chain, and 51T Ironman rear sprocket -- been happy with those on different bikes in past.

Thats amazing I'm on my 3rd set (new now) in the same amount of hours I also swap fronts as they wear... 

• Like 1

I am replacing front also, some offbrand rockymountianatv had. Wd40 before every ride is all i do...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jviz1 said:

I've done about 50 hours on mine, front and chain pretty worn, rear not looking too bad. That's a lot of hours! What maintenance do you do to your chain? Its wet, muddy and horrible most of the year here lol, stuff wears fairly quick.

Maintenance is basic rinse after every ride with garden hose, and shot of wd40 on chain on morning of a ride.. 

Conditions and speed are probably reason for longevity.  I typically ride single track, averaged 17mph over the hours/distance bike has -- seems logical that higher speeds and acceleration would wear chain/sprocket more.   I ride dry, rocky, dusty Arizona/Colorado terrain, with some spring mud/rain.

Edited by jviz1

7 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I like supersprox or ironman. I think ironman is the best but supersprox has some color.

Bling is always cool.

On a serious note, in the 6 years and many miles on my KLX I replaced my supersprox twice. And they put a new ring on the first one I sent back...for free.

The new one for my Beta s in the mail as we speak. Yes the colors are nice and they wear really well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I like supersprox or ironman. I think ironman is the best but supersprox has some color.

I used easy-off oven cleanr to remove the color from my super sprox. I hate red, it fades to pink then haze... My forks already look like they have Rosatia....

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Krannie McKranface said:

I used easy-off oven cleanr to remove the color from my super sprox. I hate red, it fades to pink then haze... My forks already look like they have Rosatia....

Different strokes for different folks.. I like supersprox.. I've had them on a couple of bikes.. but I have seen a supersprox come apart from a bike that I saw at a local shop.. I don't know how but it happened. The supersprox looks superstrong and works and looks good. I have never seen an ironman break or even wear out yet.. My 525 has it and it looks good.. Ironman I think has another version now with a different sort of  green blue sort of tinge to the plating.. That's a new thing that I haven't seen in person yet. ..and I'd guess the msr steel is good but I didn't see it up close and personal either.  The supersprox comes in different colors too. I have a gold that I had on my cr and now a red on my 350. They probably have a plain metal colored one too.. 

If I had to choose one .. I'd choose the ironman sprocket.. That thing sort of lasts forever.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Dirt Tricks Ironman Sprockets have a 2 year warranty. I just put chain and sprockets on my bike and wish I would have bought the package off of ebay. Regina chain is supposed to be top notch. There's some chain/sprocket sets on ebay for a pretty reasonable price that are the Ironman sprockets with the Regina chain.

• Like 1