Dirt bike transfer from NJ to PA

First and foremost I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I considered posting in the regional section but figured the general forum would yield a better result for any internet searches made on the topic.

With that out of the way I'd like to enlighten any prospective buyers with the information they'll need when buying a dirt bike from the state of New Jersey if they're a Pennsylvania resident. 

*Be aware I purchased from the original owner, if you are buying from a 2nd+ owner this infortmation may not be accurate*

TO SUCCESSFULLY TITLE THE BIKE IN PA YOU WILL NEED: 

The manufacturers certificate of origin 

A *notarized* bill of sale stating the sellers name, the buyers name, year-make-model of the bike being purchased, sale price, and the bikes VIN #

An original registration card for the bike. *The card must be the actual registration card, Pennsylvania WILL NOT ACCEPT A COPY*

If the seller says dirt bikes do not need to be registered, they are wrong. According to New Jersey Motor Vehicle they *must* be registered regardless of whether it's an off-road vehicle or not. http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/AllTerrain.htm

I am posting this due to a lack of information and knowledge on the subject and like me, you wish to have a piece of paper from the state of Pennsylvania saying you own your bike. I had to take a day off work and spend several hours to run around town with the previous owner (great guy) to get all of these things taken care of. Don't make my mistake and keep yourself informed.

Also, I know they say threads are worthless without pics so here's the bike I went to all this trouble for.

IMG_20170530_150808_679.jpg

Edited by Tclark619

What does the state give you when you register a dirt bike? I know you can't get a plate, is it some form ownership paper? It's messed up they want you to register a dirt bike, but they'll give you no legal riding areas with the money they collect.

1 hour ago, racermx66 said:

What does the state give you when you register a dirt bike? I know you can't get a plate, is it some form ownership paper? It's messed up they want you to register a dirt bike, but they'll give you no legal riding areas with the money they collect.

NJ will actually give you a registration card with the bikes VIN and information on it.

Not that it actually does any good since they're still illegal. It's just more money grabbing by the government. 

Same battle here in Massachusetts they want you to be OHRV registered even at motocross tracks and on your own private property. But the state gives zero support to any of the tracks or provide any legal riding. The environmental police even showed up at a race an actual scheduled event on private property with 600 plus riders and went truck to truck giving written warnings about no registration. 

• Like 1

why would you want to register a dirt bike and pay taxes on it when they wont give you a tag. screw it just ride and don't stop for anyone

Yamaha86421,

Mass has I think 7 state forests to legally ride in, The problem

is they don't spend a whole lot on maintaining existing or creating

new trails. All the maintenance is performed by the clubs 

that use the forest for events.