17 500RRS Running Hot

I am still breaking in my new 500 but I notice it runs hot 220-230+ on slow single track. Has anyone installed the larger water pump did it make a differance. Has anyone added a coolant recovery bottle to these bikes ? In most cases removing the thermostat does not help with over heating.

I maybe hyper sensitive becuse its my new baby and has a temp guage just thinking long term

Couple of things; it's still new and probably will run a little hotter, how accurate are the temp gauges,  where is the sending unit located (hotter spot?), has it puked any AF out? I don't have a 4T but my 300 has never overheated to date.

• Like 1

220-230 is perfectly fine... Plus it has a fan.

• Like 1

the fan should come on around 220 degrees. so that is fine and you are not running too hot. the bike may start running somewhat cooler as it gets more use as said previously. probably cruising it will run at about 175 degrees. Dan

• Like 2

Many of us got worried (at first) seeing the temps that modern 4-stroke single cylinder motors run at doing tight singletrack duties, I think having a digital gauge is a mixed blessing sometimes. 

For reference my old CRF450X never had a gauge, then after 5 years a installed a digital gauge, OMG! It had lived happily in the 230-260 range for over 8k miles, and the inside of the motor was never worse for wear, that bike even boiled with a 2.0 cap on it. So it got really hot. I checked the crank/barrel/piston, all perfect, everything but the valves but we all know CRF Hondas always ate valve guides/valves no matter what temps they ran at....

Your bike sounds normal to me, enjoy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark-us-B said:

I think having a digital gauge is a mixed blessing sometimes. 

I completely agree.  I just bought a new(to me) truck and if has digital display of Coolant/Trans/Eng Oil temps and I was at a loss at what was "normal".  Felt pretty silly, honestly.

Ram2015.jpg

Edited by RhinofromWA
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for the input. It is scary to see that high of temp and I'm not pushing it yet.

2 hours ago, SoKal said:

Thank you guys for the input. It is scary to see that high of temp and I'm not pushing it yet.

First, its not "that high of temp" compared to many cars and trucks today. Second, "not pushing it" or "pushing it" will make little difference to the temp gauge, trust me I've tried that comparison, lol!!!

Also your system may need "burping" there may be some air trapped in your system. After running and then cooled and keeping the bike almost upright with the pressure cap side being a little lower, remove the pressure cap and on the other radiator (right side) loosen the Phillips screw on top, till nothing but rad fluid come through, I've found a little air on the right side of mine after flushing.....

Edited by Mark-us-B
  • Like 1