Does anyone carry their bike on camper rear bumper?

I've seen lots of people carry them on tongue side but I don't have room so I want to mount a carrier on rear bumper. Will it throw off the weight making camper uneven or will it damage the bumper? Is it safe? My bike weighs 222 pounds and right now I've just been putting it inside and laying it on couch but there has to be a easier way.

Photo to show what I'm talking about.IMG_1419.JPGIMG_1054.JPGIMG_1420.JPG

Is the bumper attached directly to the frame on the camper?

Bumper carriers are a nice solution. I have about 9000miles of bumper carrying on a Chevy Trailbrazer, most of it being towed behind a motorhome. No problems. A friend packs his dirt bike on the back of his motorhome, again no problems.

Two issues:
1. The carrier rocks left/right because of slop in the receiver, so I add straps from each end to my roof rack to reduce rocking. Better solution would be 1" receivers near each end that connect to the frame, might not need the 2" center mount.
2. The handle bar end can hit the rear of the vehicle if the bike isn't strapped in properly, I attach a pad to the bar end and then adjust the bike until the pad contacts the rear window. 

1 hour ago, Chuck. said:

Bumper carriers are a nice solution. I have about 9000miles of bumper carrying on a Chevy Trailbrazer, most of it being towed behind a motorhome. No problems. A friend packs his dirt bike on the back of his motorhome, again no problems.

Two issues:
1. The carrier rocks left/right because of slop in the receiver, so I add straps from each end to my roof rack to reduce rocking. Better solution would be 1" receivers near each end that connect to the frame, might not need the 2" center mount.
2. The handle bar end can hit the rear of the vehicle if the bike isn't strapped in properly, I attach a pad to the bar end and then adjust the bike until the pad contacts the rear window. 

The slop is easily eliminated with a u bolt and a metal plate.  They even sell them ready made.

5 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

The slop is easily eliminated with a u bolt and a metal plate.  They even sell them ready made.

Where? Thanks.

1 minute ago, YHGEORGE said:

Where? Thanks.

At least one of the companies that makes hitch haulers sells them as an accessory, I can't remember which one.  But, they are easy to make with a u-bolt and a steel plate.

Just did a search, here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hitch+wobble+stabilizer&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=14303930958&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_26a44ltzjt_b

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RamblingRMZ said:

I've seen lots of people carry them on tongue side but I don't have room so I want to mount a carrier on rear bumper. Will it throw off the weight making camper uneven or will it damage the bumper? Is it safe? My bike weighs 222 pounds and right now I've just been putting it inside and laying it on couch but there has to be a easier way.

Photo to show what I'm talking about.IMG_1419.JPG

no way that's gonna hold anything more than the $hitter dump tube and that spare.

you need to structurally beef up everything for the weight you want to add.

• Like 2

Two issues:

Do you have pictures?

17 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

At least one of the companies that makes hitch haulers sells them as an accessory, I can't remember which one.  But, they are easy to make with a u-bolt and a steel plate.

Just did a search, here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hitch+wobble+stabilizer&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=14303930958&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_26a44ltzjt_b

Thanks, wish they had a pic of it installed. ??? 

I don't recommend any hitch carrier on the back of a travel trailer. Because of the pivot point between the tow vehicle and trailer, you can get a serious whip effect going over bumps, especially at highway speed. Suddenly you're 300 pound bike has the upward or downward force of multiples of its actual weight. I nearly lost 4 bicycles that way. 

• Like 1

Not on the back of a travel trailer. The frame/bumper isn't heavy enough for that much weight. Consider that 1" bump for the truck ends up bouncing the rear camper bumper 3-4". Watch one and pay attention next time you see one on the highway go over an interstate bridge expansion or the like, then think about what it'll do on something like unexpected rail road tracks.

Bed of truck or inside a toy hauler only for me.

• Like 1

Depends ob your
Hitch setup
Tongue weight
How much trailer weighs
How much truck weighs
Trailer frame
Trailer bumper
Install of bike hauler
Extension length of bike hauler
So on and so forth.

On 6/1/2017 at 11:59 AM, cjjeepercreeper said:

Better view:

41OP4yxOZdL._SX425_.jpg

Either way works fine, top or bottom.

:thumbsup:

I built one to do what you're talking about a few years ago. I removed the weak rear bumper and put the spare tire inside the camper. The bike carrier attached underneath to the actual frame of the camper. I only used it once or twice but it worked well. The yellow outriggers were tontriangulate tie downs to keep it stable. I used grade 8 fasteners and nyloc nuts to prevent loosening. The only downside was you couldn't see it while driving and on a three hour trip paranoia would set in that maybe your bike was laying in the middle of the interstate a few states back. I used heavy gauge steel and the front wheel chock loop to keep the bike stable. I hauled a 2005 CRF450R full of fuel, and woods protection for harescrambles so it probably weighed 245 lbs I guess. This is not an endorsement of the idea but it can be done.

IMG_6592.JPG

IMG_6593.JPG

New to the site, just thought id chime in since i've done this twice before with success. In order to make it work right you need to completely remove that old 4 inch square tube bumper and replace it with a more robust version or even better fab up something specifically for the bike carrier. DO NOT use a SINGLE receiver in the middle and a bike carrier regardless if you upgrade the bumper. Slop also plays a big part in it as it will stress the hell out of everything. How i did mine was i had a 2 x square tubes like the kind that go into a receiver welded to each frame member so basically i had a new bumper with 2 square tubes protruding out(frame mounted). Then i had a steel bike carrier similar to the one you posted in the picture and fabed it up to  just simply sit on them and welded it all together. no movement no slop this is key. painted it black looks like a factory addition....if you use other cheap methods youll twist the bumper up or worse the frame and drop the bike in mid travel especially if you dirt road.

Some larger models have universal hitch mounts. These are ok if you have a large unit with a good frame. Most TT's have lightweight frame and bumper.

Edited by BermRaider
  • Like 1