I've taken the carb off and removed all jets/parts. The exterior has some dirt baked on that the carb cleaner wouldn't remove. Would it be ok to scrub it with warm soapy water then reclean the channels with carb cleaner? 

Don't use automotive carb  cleaner, it is too strong

MC carbs have fragile plastic and rubber parts inside

Once you have cleaned the passages, REPLACE the pilot jet with a new one.

Pinesol or Simple Green have become my go to cleaners.   It usually gets the stuff off the outside too.   I have a friend who likes to keep his multicarbed streetbikes caburetors looking new who uses toothpaste meant for dentures or tooth powder.  Complete with an electric tooth brush.   It seems to work for him.   The household cleaners mentioned work for me.  I submerge for 24-72 hours depending on how much time I have and how bad the carburetor seemed.  

Edited by ossagp

Use what you want but I have used carb cleaner for years and years and more with no issues, maybe if you soaked them in it for days on end perhaps maybe but you better have alot because it evaporates quick! Days in simple Green can't be great either that stuff is strong also

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

Use what you want but I have used carb cleaner for years and years and more with no issues, maybe if you soaked them in it for days on end perhaps maybe but you better have alot because it evaporates quick! Days in simple Green can't be great either that stuff is strong also

Can't be?  So you mean you are guessing it can't be?  I use what works,  and in the past I have used the submersible set up marketed by GUNK,  smells like creosote and cleans great.  The simple green IS easier on the rubber/viton products,  and since the SimpleGreen and Pinesol come in a plastic container,  a man might get the idea that it is harmless to those things.  Anyway, no float or damage in the last 12 years from either.   I still use the GUNK for any of the bodies I have stripped all the way down.  

Edited by ossagp

I'm not familiar with using gunk, I use the aerosol version of whatever is cheapest and it evaporates quick and give the psi to blow out stuff, is yours in a sealed container? Acid comes in a plastic container too.

26 minutes ago, ossagp said:

Can't be?  So you mean you are guessing it can't be?  I use what works,  and in the past I have used the submersible set up marketed by GUNK,  smells like creosote and cleans great.  The simple green IS easier on the rubber/viton products,  and since the SimpleGreen and Pinesol come in a plastic container,  a man might get the idea that it is harmless to those things.  Anyway, no float or damage in the last 12 years from either.   I still use the GUNK for any of the bodies I have stripped all the way down.  

12 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

I'm not familiar with using gunk, I use the aerosol version of whatever is cheapest and it evaporates quick and give the psi to blow out stuff, is yours in a sealed container? Acid comes in a plastic container too.

I'm no chemist or scientist just stating what has worked for me! My bike is 15 years old and has always had the same treatment with no issues and the same internals!

6 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

I guess you are not cleaning rubber parts on your carb then. Carb spray will quickly destroy anything rubber in a FCR carb. And it takes a lot of hard scraping and rubbing on the aluminum to clean. I learned the hard way....

As stated simple toothbrush and simple green is the best. 

IMG_0279_zps444a500b.jpg