crf450x Considering CRF 450 X Purchase - Maintenance Concerns

Hola - I have recently moved to southern Baja and brought my trusty DRZ which was purchased because its street legal and a lot of fun to ride single track in the cascade mountains. Now that I am here and the riding is faster, more wide open and street legal is unnecessary I am considering making a change. All of my friends here ride CRF x's but they have lots of toys and full time mechanics to keep things in good shape. I don't have much time or a full time mechanic and although I enjoy turning a wrench my current living situation doesn't provide me with a lot of space or opportunity. Does it make sense to make the change and what does the routine maintenance look like?

Hello

I've have a 2013 CF450X that I've had since new. I ride mostly single track and jeep/quad trails with some highway stuff in between. So I'm not hitting the rev limiter too often. About 13000km on it so far and nothing needed besides regular oil/filter/air cleaner changes, wheel bearings, chains, sprockets and that sort of stuff. None of the valve/piston stuff that people talk about yet. But I suspect that's coming soon. ;-)

Riding wide open in the Baja might be harder on the bike.

Most of my maintenance results from breaking things in get-offs. Straightening handlebars, repairing plastics, re-bending hand guards, straightening radiator guards and radiators etc. 

That being said, any higher performance bike will require more maintenance. I do mine all myself in my back yard or at a friend's garage. I probably average an hour of maintenance for every 5-10 hours or riding. So having a mechanic do that amount of work is not an option. Maybe mechanics are less expensive in Mexico.

Good luck. It's a great bike!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on routine maintenance. That is exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for. Mechanics are less expensive here but they are also less trained and rarely have the proper tools. Which makes me nervous. I am sure I will try to become my own expert on whatever I get into. 

• Like 1

What part of south Baja? I have some homies down there. And when it comes to maintenance as long as you are on top of your levels and oil condition you'll be fine, the most important thing is to keep the air filter clean.

Really other than motorcycle stuff (tires, chain cleaning and lubing, oil changes) the only thing over and above what a DRZ would need is more attention to the valves, and try not to use the kick starter.

• Like 1

Any high speed riding in Baja will wear down all bikes. Long sustained high revs and it don't matter. Some may say the Yamaha valvetrain is more reliable but a Honda version with TRX valves or other non-titanium valve set will be equally durable. 

• Like 1

What's the issue with the kick starter? Does any one have a link ?

What's the issue with the kick starter? Does any one have a link ?

I don't kick mine when the button works but lately it hasn't (see signature ). The recent kicking has not resulted in failure yet. I suspect they improved the mechanism as time passed because krannies was a early model 2006 or so. My 13 has been sturdy but I still try to avoid using it.

Mine is also an 06... What is the problem/solution? So far I have primarily used the kick start since the e start is only good for one or two cranks. I've only had it a month or so and haven't done the starter gear fix 

On 6/22/2017 at 2:07 PM, Sofiedog said:

Just curious, why is your estart only good for 1 or 2 cranks?

Apparently there is an issue with the starter gears on the 450x.  Acts like battery is dead but tests full charge. It's in the 450x sticky. 

I had starter problems for 4 years-  I kick started ONLY for 4 years and never had a problem - 2005.  Who knows whether you have a bad one or not I guess. 

• Like 1

I agree...mine's an '05 and always have used the button with no issues...go figure.

I have kick started mine twice. Once, when I first got it, just to know that I can if I need to. And, once recently, by reflex because I had been riding bikes w/o a button for a couple months...

• Like 1