Why didn't my tire seat properly?

I've done lots of tires. Never had this happen. Brand new Kenda tire and brand new dirtstar rim. Where did I go wrong?

IMG_1338.JPG

Yes it is. I did. I tried everything. Even tried taking it off again till I seen it scratching the rim. So gave up. Aired it up lots. Bounced it. Flattened it. Bounced it. Still nothing. It went on fairly good. No fighting. Brand new straight tire when I got it. It's on the bike now... I'm hoping a ride fixes it

I'm referring to a few inches up of the rim lock. Where the tire is like bubbling/popping off the rim. Did I maybe add a little too much air trying to seat it?

There is a continuous metal wire inside the bead. Rarely, it can split from excessive force when installing, or it could be a manufacturing flaw. If the bead's not actually torn from tire irons, you should be able to return it for another. You can try to ride with it that way, but if it doesn't seat, it might be tough to return a used tire.

• Like 1

Just fyi it took 90psi to seat my street tire on a 2.5" wheel hoop. May need more pressure...

Take valve stem out break it off bead then spray lube on both sides dont have to go crazy .  Fill until it comes out :thumbsup: then set pressure and snug up lock. That's how I was tought years ago it works.but i lube soon as its on. Not before or it walks . Sometimes it takes 80lbs or so

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 2

From your pic, I assumed the rest of the tire was seated, and that is a bulge. Not so?

completely deflate the tire (stem out) break the tire off the rim if its on, spray shit tons of windex around the beed so its on the inner rim and tire and inflate it.

If that doesn't work, do the same thing but put a ratchet strap around the tire while you have it completely deflated, crank it down tight (even pulling the center of the tire in a little) then inflate with lots of windex. I've had to do this several times.

• Like 1

first off deflate it, loosen your beadlock nut to almost the very end,make sure your tube is installed correctly and not under the beadlock, i would stop at a tire shop and get some  tire lube,take a small bottle with you,the tire lube is important spread that around the bead surface,you should never have to inflate more than 40 psi to seat your tire beads.hope that helps.

• Like 1

Tire lube is good shit. Did my first tire with it two nights ago.

Even a Mitas stone king went straight on, and it was a very, very stiff front tire.

Agree with the deflate and relube comments. Worked for me when I had this issue.

• Like 3

For piece of mind that it is not a defective bead or you damaged the bead OR there is some weird issue with the new DirtStar rim, I would pull the tire and have a good look at everything.

Then as posted I but use lots of soapy water before going through the process of setting the bead (tighten rim lock last).

At least you mounted it with the directional arrow going the right way :)

• Like 3

I don't think the deflating and lubing trick would work. I've done that one before. This isn't where it's needed I feel. The whole tires bead seated nice... The one part seated "too much" and looks like the tire is bulging weirdly off the rim or something at the 2 o clock position . It's hard to get on picture. But in person it's real obvious. I usually use dawn dish soap as lube. Anything really. Last few tires barely needed any lube they went on so smooth.

I'm gonna ride it tomorrow. And keep a close eye on it. If it gets worse or doesn't change, I'll take it apart and investigate.

Yeah exactly. Here's a pic of the bead where it's proper.

IMG_1349.JPG

And here's where it looks rough

IMG_1351.JPG

1 hour ago, CR250_182 said:

To me it looks like a to tire flaw. It looks seated all the way around, and too much where you be are mentioning.

Seating does not appear to be the problem, it's PAST the point of seating. I'm agreeing tire flaw, from the manufacturer or possibly operator error.

Or severely bent rim.

• Like 1

I've had that happen.  Lube it up and air it up,  It'll pop out.  If not, take the whole thing in to where you got it and have them mount it.

11 hours ago, cdf450 said:

Yeah exactly. Here's a pic of the bead where it's proper.

IMG_1349.JPG

And here's where it looks rough

IMG_1351.JPG

Seeing that picture I am more inclined now to think a severely kinked bead wire.

just run it around the block a few times (assuming the bike's plated)... it'll pop in. 

Wouldn't worry about it.

If mine's mostly-seated, it'll fully-seat in the first 5 miles of riding (my commute to work).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Flagstaff said:

Seating does not appear to be the problem, it's PAST the point of seating. I'm agreeing tire flaw, from the manufacturer or possibly operator error.

Or severely bent rim.

def not operator error. ive done 20 tires already this year, all flawlessly, and this one went on easiest of them all. BUT, not too easy though to the point where I was concerned... 19" rubber on 18" rim type deal, ya know? none of that going on here.

rim is brand new.. this is the first rubber its EVER seen!  brand new rim tape, brand new bead lock, brand new rubber. I did cheat and use my old tube though... there was nothing wrong with it.  and I didnt kink the bead either.  ive fought so hard with tires before I broke the spoons back when I was learning. this one went on with very little fighting, swearing, or sweating. I dont think I damaged the bead.

im thinking tire flaw.  went and rode 50 km of hard single track today. a race loop so it was seriously rough, and we did it fast.  tire was a little low... I heard the rim ding off roots and rocks a few times!!! oops.  no pinch flats though somehow, and the hard ride STILL hasnt fixed the bead.. I dunno. I figure just ignore it and ride it!!!

ordered the tire from fortnine.ca

Edited by cdf450
  • Like 1