Soldering plastic TTR125 gas tank

I've got some cracks in my plastic TTR125 gas tank and am looking to solder or otherwise repair the cracks so I don't have to buy a new tank.

I've emptied the tank completely, cleaned inside and out with soapy water, and let it sit for awhile. The inside still smells like gas. Is it safe to solder now?

In one of the videos I watched the guy put some water in the tank while he was soldering it for safety reasons. The idea being the water dilutes any gas that's left in there?

Just want to make sure it doesn't blow up or anything...

The tank will always smell like gas, the water is a safety net and is s good idea as sometimes fumes can ignite

I've got some cracks in my plastic TTR125 gas tank and am looking to solder or otherwise repair the cracks so I don't have to buy a new tank.
I've emptied the tank completely, cleaned inside and out with soapy water, and let it sit for awhile. The inside still smells like gas. Is it safe to solder now?
In one of the videos I watched the guy put some water in the tank while he was soldering it for safety reasons. The idea being the water dilutes any gas that's left in there?
Just want to make sure it doesn't blow up or anything...

Please explain soldering a plastic tank. Never heard of this.
  • Like 1

Of course he can chime in but I'm guessing he means to take a soldering iron and fuse the cracks back together by melting the plastic with the tip.

Yes, using a soldering iron to fuse and repair some cracks by melting the plastic.

Ok got yah. Yes i have done this... just didnt know what yah meant. Follow up soldering with a coating of jb weld. Have done this in the past with great results.