Sign in to follow this  

426 clutch assembly order; one small disc??

Super new to dirt bikes but an experienced wrencher. I'm taking apart my clutch on my 01 426f and at the bottom of the stack there is one thinner diameter clutch disc. I bought a new pack of discs but none of them are smaller. Am I ok to use a big one?

and what is the order from the clutch boss? There were two skinny metal rings in there, then a the little friction, then metal plate. 

I wouldn't assume the PO did it right. It's slipping a lot which is why I'm doing it. I also has a rekluse z-start, so I know it's a little different. 

Mostly I want to know how the order of everything goes from the clutch boss out with that little metal ring included. I can't seem to find a good assembly picture or video. 

Thanks much. 

When you say disc, is it a steel or fiber plate? Or is it one of the retaining rings

Here is the Rekluse Z-start installation instructions which are pretty good and straight forward. I didn't have any issues using them when installing on my 450 

I am not super familar with the 426 clutch assembly but I cannot imagine it is that different from the YZ450. 

http://www.rekluse-deutschland.de/anleitung/anleitung_rekluse_zstartpro_all.pdf 

2017-05-31_1432.png

Edited by tmeyer37
incomplete

Well, it is.  The '01 model introduces a Belleville spring (conical disc) that was placed at the bottom of the stack against the boss to make the engagement less abrupt.  The bottom friction plate is not just thinner, it has a slightly larger ID in many cases to clear the spring and thrust ring.  You can assemble it without these two parts and hope that the clutch plates you have on have will operate more smoothly than the 2000 model OEM plates did.  These days, they probably will.

If you want to install the original parts, the order from the boss up is "seat plate" (the flat one of the two thin rings), "cushion spring" (the conical one), then the odd plate, then the rest of the stack as usual.

So I can try and use all new discs, without using the damper spring and seat plate and just leave them out?

Maybe I'll do that and see if it isn't too harsh. 

Do the sets normally have one plate with a wider ID but for some reason mine doesn't?

Since you bought them in a package, it's a safe bet that they are not OEM Yamaha plates, because they don't make a plate kit for that model.  Aftermarket folks are notorious for cutting corners, and if they can make one product and market it to more than one specific model, they will, whether it's an exact match to the specs or not.  The same 9 frictions and 8 steels will usually fit all YZ4**F models from 2000 up to 2006, but the stacked heights may vary, and clutch operation may be less the optimal.  As long as the pressure plate sits at close to the right height on the stacked plates relative to the boss and basket, it should work.

Yamaha eliminated the cushion spring and washer in the '03 450, using the same clutch boss, same steels, and revised friction plates, so it's reasonable to think that a plate set that services the early 450's will work.  The other thing that often comes up with aftermarket plates is that they sometimes drag rather fiercely during the first few hours of operation.