2017 Beta XTrainer - my first Beta and a question for XTrainer owners

Just brought home a 2017 Beta XTrainer yesterday ! I've had Honda's since the early 80's and currently have a 2005 Honda CR125R two stroke, which is great for my intermediate track riding...I say intermediate because I am now 57 and intermediate tracks are good enough for me lol! Anyway, was looking for something better on the trails and I am going to do a few Hare Scrambles this summer with other members of my riding crew. I bought a KTM Freeride about 6 months ago....a great bike but there were a few things that I wasnt crazy about. The XTrainer (according to the reviews) seems to fix those issues. 

Anyway, when I told the salesman I wanted the bike I sat there for a good hour with nothing happening. Came to find out one of the muffler welds had a gap and was spitting oil. So even though the salesman told me that they couldn't knock too much off the price of the bike because it was their last xtrainer and they are hard to get and easy to sell, an unbuilt one mysteriously appeared in a crate in the back that they swapped the muffler with....lol.....

Anyway....a question for the group.....so this thing has oil injection, which is great! But does anyone know what the mixture actually is for this particular bike? I was pleasantly shocked when I got my KTM Freeride and saw that it rocked an 80:1 ratio ! Which meant no crop dusting, like my CR125 ! Anyone know what the mix is for the XTrainer? 

Edited by akz28

Awesome bike, love mine, the oil pump ratio is variable from 60:1 down to 100:1 depending on throttle position, it uses so little oil it is amazing

Edited by Trials Rider NZ

That is GREAT to hear ! Thanks for replying back Paul. 

• Like 1

I saw a brand new Xtrainer at a local trailhead last weekend that also had a crappy weld leaking where the expansion pipe is welded to the straight pipe that connects to the silencer.  That weld was ugly.  The owner was planning to return it to the dealer for warranty replacement.

The crated bike that your dealer removed the pipe from may very well have been earmarked for another customer or maybe even an employee.  Just because it's in the building doesn't mean it was unsold.

Beta's oil injection map reputedly runs between 100:1 at idle and 32:1 at wide open throttle.  More info in this article if interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akz28 said:

Came to find out one of the muffler welds had a gap and was spitting oil. So even though the salesman told me that they couldn't knock too much off the price of the bike because it was their last xtrainer and they are hard to get and easy to sell, an unbuilt one mysteriously appeared in a crate in the back that they swapped the muffler with....lol.....

The muffler, or the expansion pipe?  I assumed that you were talking about the expansion pipe because it's unique to the Xtrainer.  It's also the part with the poor weld that I saw on another new Xtrainer recently.

The muffler (silencer) is made by FMF, who generally has good workmanship and quality control.  Like FUHL wrote above, in the USA these are usually replaced with FMF silencers with USFS-approved spark arrestors by anyone planning to ride on public land.  Thus I'd expect your dealer would usually have at least one in stock.

I meant muffler, old habit calling it a pipe.

I wonder if the "Leak" was coming from the rubber joint which is common and an easy fix.

I thought he meant the weld at the silencer because that is where I saw signs of oil spitting on the frame but I am really not sure. 

Anyway, question for anyone that has a 2017 xTrainer - what color is your silencer?

Every picture I have seen looks to me as though it is silver but the one on my bike is gold. Dont really care about the color.....just curious. 

I put a ziptie around the rubber that connects the pipe to the silencer and fixed the nastiness that was getting all over the place

• Like 1

Xtrainers aren't coming with FMF exhausts. It had something to do with FMF wanted to have a sticker on it like the RR's, but since the trainer isn't a race bike Beta didn't want that on there. So FMF decided it wasn't worth it to supply them anymore. 

I've seen a few xtrainers leak at the welds. This one was from a customers bike. Beta warrentied it no problem. 

IMG_2195.PNG

Xtrainers aren't coming with FMF exhausts. It had something to do with FMF wanted to have a sticker on it like the RR's, but since the trainer isn't a race bike Beta didn't want that on there. So FMF decided it wasn't worth it to supply them anymore. 

I've seen a few xtrainers leak at the welds. This one was from a customers bike. Beta warrentied it no problem. 

IMG_2195.PNG.e968e8db93a14bbb553cb6aaf5509502.PNG

Is that reason for the difference between the 16's machined silencer that says FMF and my 17's welded unit?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app