1994 yz250

I just got a 1994 yz250, i am currently working on the motor and having shock rebuilt. What i need to know is if i need to ride a certain way to 'warm it up'. It hasnt run in over 5 years atleast. I would really hate to blow it after spending the money and time repairing it. Anything helps, also interested in tips to a 2 stroke. (First 2 stroke i have owned)

Turn the petcock on a few minutes before starting the bike.

Pull the choke, kick start the bike, gently blip the throttle to keep it running.

Shut off the choke when the bike can run without it, occasionally blip the throttle a little more aggressively until the motor revs cleanly. Feel for heat from the pipe (near the radiator), then feel for heat from the radiator. It does not need to be hot, just warm.

At this point snick it into gear and ride. Refrain from full throttle for about 15-30 seconds, then let 'er rip!

The '94 YZ250 has a near-legendary motor. Very fun. Good score!

• Like 1

FWIW I prefer to hold the throttle at a slightly fast idle for warm up rather than blipping the throttle.  I've heard that blipping the throttle, especially right after you start it cold can draw unburnt excess fuel back in from the pipe and contribute to fouled plugs.  IDK, just something that made sense to me when I heard it.  So I start it, shut the choke off after 5-10 seconds, then hold it a a SLIGHTLY faster speed for about 30-60 seconds depending on the weather, then ride off gently for a couple minutes, then good to go.

• Like 1