Sad times , 10' Cams destroyed :(

Hey all! , well i thought i was doing good! , have had the bike just over a year and after winter i took it out for the first time last month and it was sounding a bit tappy , changed the oil and it still sounded tappy, so thought it was probably about time i checked the valve clearance.

Long story short they were miles out , so went about taking the cam cap off and found this :(

34210959223_d32c6de682_c.jpgUntitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

34177961884_d7a1bf6400_c.jpgUntitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

now im no expert but, destroyed im assuming !

Does anyone know what years share the same cams and cam cap cover ?

Not sure on the rmz but normally the cam caps are machined to match the head. Unfortunately looks like youll need the whole shebang.

Aww man hole head job :( was hoping to avoid that! 

Ok so next question is what years the head shared with? Mine is marked 28H1 E-1 , am I looking for anything with that number ? 

I would probably be inspecting the oil pump as well.  Could have been starved..normally the head is the first place to have issues. 

• Like 1

ok so , i opened it up ! gulp! figured i couldnt make it any worse haha!

Iv attached some photos as il hold my hands up im not an engine builder , i have alot of tools and know how to use them and a keen mechanical back ground so with some pointers im sure i could mange , but i like opinions , so here comes the photos!

so heres the oil pump , had to get a photo off , everything looks to be there , some light scoring on it ? there was a few bits in the strainers but nothing massive and god knows when they were last changed.

35012808976_b35d010108_b.jpgUntitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

so again heres the head

35009291326_1b135d505d_b.jpgUntitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

34206038934_1a3a0f136e_b.jpgUntitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

jurnoal cover

34239108863_720e63f219_b.jpgUntitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

cylinder looks ok , pistion hardly moves

34917952691_c641d78d0c_b.jpgUntitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

little pick up scratchs prob where it was reved hard from cold , should hone out ?

35009290816_6ce395cf40_b.jpgUntitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

still trying to figure out what the numbers mean on the sides of the parts?

this is on the head

34206039134_63172f58d6_b.jpgUntitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

but this is on the cylinder?

35009290966_2cb9e1e214_b.jpg

i thought they would of all been the same?  still trying to figure out what i can use from another year as a new head is quite expensive here in the uk!

aprechiate any advice and thanks to all thats commented so far :) 

I would probably take the rest of the oil pump apart and inspect.  Especially the large screen behind the stator cover.  I'm not too sure of the changes over the years but i'm assuming you would have that screen as well.  Head looks toast.  Hard to tell in the pictures but the cylinder may be able to be honed out.  I would recommend a new piston and rings.  Were you low on oil?  Definitely looks like some oil starvation issues.  Check your crank for play as well.  I'm not real sure on the oil pump but I would probably be replacing that as it's not too expensive for at least the rotor set.  As for what head's fit, someone may be able to comment on that but I would start by finding an oem parts catalog online and compare part numbers throughout the years.  If I were to guess I would say the FI models with a decompression lever would be the same but thats a 100% guess. 

The head is toast. The cam cap bolts were tightened too tight. That's what happens. It's not an oil flow issue

Cam bolts are supposed to be 16.5 foot pounds, which is almost nothing. The Head can be repaired, cam caps and cams have to be replaced. I don't see any evidence of a oil flow issue. Take the valve buckets out, that will give you a good indication. If they are marked up, that would indicate an oil issue. Cylinder and piston looks okay to me, I would have done a leak down test before I pulled the head off, but since you have it off, it may not be a bad idea to replace them for piece of mind. Good luck man and remember use a good torque wrench, use a torquing compound and tighten to 16.5 foot pounds.

Cam bolts are supposed to be 16.5 foot pounds, which is almost nothing. The Head can be repaired, cam caps and cams have to be replaced. I don't see any evidence of a oil flow issue. Take the valve buckets out, that will give you a good indication. If they are marked up, that would indicate an oil issue. Cylinder and piston looks okay to me, I would have done a leak down test before I pulled the head off, but since you have it off, it may not be a bad idea to replace them for piece of mind. Good luck man and remember use a good torque wrench, use a torquing compound and tighten to 16.5 foot pounds.

Actually it's 8 pounds
  • Like 1

8 foot pounds! You can tighten those with your fingers, LOL. I didn't read the year so I apologize OP. The 05-07 model is 16.5 foot pounds.

8 foot pounds! You can tighten those with your fingers, LOL. I didn't read the year so I apologize OP. The 05-07 model is 16.5 foot pounds.

Read the manual bro. I just did the top end on my 14. 7.9 foot pounds to be exact. I'm talking about the cam cap bolts. You are probably confusing the valve cover bolts.
  • Like 1

Read the manual bro. I just did the top end on my 14. 7.9 foot pounds to be exact. I'm talking about the cam cap bolts. You are probably confusing the valve cover bolts.

You right! Now I'm second guessing myself

IMG_6819.JPG

On 6/3/2017 at 9:22 PM, xMUDKINGx said:

Actually they are 7ft lbs ;)

IMG_3429.PNG

Edited by Jon Broadbent
  • Like 1