What do you think of this 2001 400s?

I just picked up a modded 2005 with 17,250 mi for $2700. Had a lot of extras... Clarke tank, handguards, 3x3 air box, full yoshimura rs3 exhaust, dynojet kit, hotcams shims (2 packages, in different sizes), extra filters, other stuff

Edited by 74jimbo

For those with knowledge of this bike, have a look at the rotors, the handlebars, levers, grips, header pipe and whatever else. Do these look like original, stock parts? If it's really a 2,200 mile bike, those rotors should still look pretty fresh if they are original. I think I'll ask to see the bike this weekend, and I'll be looking for these kinds of clues to gauge just how original the bike it. 

11 hours ago, md30 said:

For those with knowledge of this bike, have a look at the rotors, the handlebars, levers, grips, header pipe and whatever else. Do these look like original, stock parts? If it's really a 2,200 mile bike, those rotors should still look pretty fresh if they are original. I think I'll ask to see the bike this weekend, and I'll be looking for these kinds of clues to gauge just how original the bike it. 

Check how clean the air filter is too!

That DRZ looks new with some extras  . If it were me I'd feel pretty good about it if I got for around 2,700-2,800 . Regardless of its near new condition father time play a role on parts .
Heres Craigslist Ad of a 2001 DRZ for 3,500 in my area 
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/6157869238.html

Edited by xxcody2gunsxx

9 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

It looks pretty clean. I suspect it has a jet kit in it.

You did notice that the suspension has been substantial lowered? It also has the non cartridge fork if still original.

The bike is over priced regardless of location.

He says it has the DynoJet kit in it. You are right it looks lowered, if I meet with him I'll ask about that. I understand the 01 had inferior suspension to the 02+, that's sort of a concern for me considering how expensive suspension changes.

5 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Check how clean the air filter is too!

Ill make sure to do that thanks for the reminder.

35 minutes ago, xxcody2gunsxx said:

That DRZ looks new with some extras  . If it were me I'd feel pretty good about it if I got for around 2,700-2,800 . Regardless of its near new condition father time play a role on parts .
Heres Craigslist Ad of a 2001 DRZ for 3,500 in my area 
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/6157869238.html

There are a couple other S models in my general area with low miles that looks to be in decent condition, but of course they are asking way more.

Here's a 2006 with 10K miles for $3,500 https://modesto.craigslist.org/mcy/6146853808.html

And a 2007 under 3k miles for $5,500 https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/6151964096.html

The 2007 is out of question considering his asking price. In any case I'm not planning on paying more than $3,000 for a DRZ, but I'm wondering if it would be worth a couple extra hundred dollars for the newer suspension?

Thanks for all the input

45 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

If you scroll in you can see that the rear suspension linkage isn't stock. It's hard to tell but the front looks lowered too. In any case, there is no way you want to ride that off-road (or on) the way it sits unless you are extremely vertically challenged.

Good observation, I'm going to text him about that now.

if he had all the original parts it might be worth it if it starts and purrs like a kitten .. i would want the original rear links, seat, exhaust, mirrors, gas cap, ect for that price, if not im thinking more like 2700 .. it might be the actual miles though, the header pipe looks pretty fresh, gears have been changed thats kindof odd for such low miles but not unheard of i guess, i had less than 3k on my '00 until about a year and a half ago when i put sm wheels on it, now its at about 11 ...

• Like 2