Sign in to follow this  

2013 YZ450F setting up for trail / mountain riding

I'm getting back into riding after many moons.   I got a good deal on a 2013 YZ450F.  After hitting the trails and working some steep single track, it was a bear...stalling, hard to navigate at slow speeds in technical terrain, overheating, etc.  I was planning to go with a bigger rear sprocket 51T and a heavier fly wheel.  After swapping the rear sprocket, I am amazed at the difference.  Able to run a low speeds w/o stalling.  On flat ground, it will just about coast w/o having to hit the throttle and the bike does not stall.   Now, I'm thinking about skipping the fly wheel upgrade.  

My concern is, is the bike running the way is should with just the sprocket change (or did I screw something up)?   Any insights would be appreciated.   

Yes. Slow technical riding with stock gearing is a bear. It puts the engine in a part of the powerband it really does not like. Even with the gear change some have trouble with stalling in really tight stuff. The flywheel weight helps with really no downside for off road riding.

• Like 1

I have same issues, with my '16. I figured a heavier flywheel would be the answer, maybe a rekluse as last resort.

I find it has almost tooo much power, it's a pretty abrupt hit even from low rpm, wouldn't a bigger rear sprocket magnify that?

Riding the 250FX while I sort the big boy out :ride:

Image 15.jpg

• Like 1

I have the same bike mentioned above and am considering a heavy fly wheel or even a recluse just due to the bike having so much low end snap and hating to go slow and put around. Stalls a lot or makes your work the clutch sooo much.

So, after putting in the bigger rear sprocket, my bike seems to be running great.  I've got a mountain behind the house.  I'm going to give it a shot this morning and see how it feels.  If it does not go well, I'm going to install 1.  heavier flywheel 2.  If it still does not perform the rekluse clutch.  (Putzing around on the road, I can't believe how much of a difference the sprocket made....we'll see how that translates to the mountain.)

Will report back asap.  

I'm kind of tempted to do both… Rekluse and the heavier flywheel, hopefully smooth the hit out some..

I did the "mellow" GYTR map already lol.. Should mention it's been 32 years since I've ridden dirt, so 

while I realize it's the "wrong" bike to step back into the sport with, I got such a great deal on it I couldn't pass it up, either.

Picked up a 250FX to break the rust off the skill set with, want to get the big boy set up to where I can ride it confidently, without

the threat of harm to my person hahaha.

I have a 2012 yz450. I spend most my time in the woods and trails with it. It works great when set up. I changed the rear sprocket I believe to a 52. Used the tuner to set it to what felt worked the best. And the best thing I added was a rekluse clutch the exp 3.0 (the cheap one). So far the bike has been working great be careful on temperature if your in the tight stuff for to long. Other than that it's a blast to ride.

In my opinion, proper suspension tuning is a huge help to aid in not stalling. More traction, less abrubptness, less jarring, make it much easier to modulate the clutch.

In my opnion, a Rekluse is great for occasional obstacles, but it actually makes it harder to control the clutch modulation at all rpms, and just learning how to use the lever is a bigger benefit, unless you are riding at a very fast pace, then the Rekluse really helps.

• Like 1

So, here's where I'm at...took the bike out for a spin with the new 51T rear sprocket, which made a HUGE difference.  Probably would be fine for flatter country.  However, I'm riding some pretty steep stuff in N. Idaho and not getting the power transfer, I'm looking for on the steep hill climbs.  On the plus side, the lower gearing seemed to help a lot with over heating.  I'm going to add the Steahly 9.oz fly weight and see if it makes a difference.  Should have some additional feedback early next week.    

FYI - I have rode my buddies bike with the Rekluse.  I like it, however, I miss the engine breaking and believe I'll be fine w/o it, once I have the right gearing and the heavier flywheel. 

On 6/2/2017 at 11:18 AM, tmav66 said:

I put a rekluse in my 450fx it is awesome just do it and don't look back

I have no idea why you'd need a rekluse on a YZ450FX.  It is nearly stall proof with the stock clutch.

I run a Magura clutch setup on both my 250 and 450FXs.  I think it makes the clutch much more precise.  I love it.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

20 minutes ago, D=train said:

So, here's where I'm at...took the bike out for a spin with the new 51T rear sprocket, which made a HUGE difference.  Probably would be fine for flatter country.  However, I'm riding some pretty steep stuff in N. Idaho and not getting the power transfer, I'm looking for on the steep hill climbs.  On the plus side, the lower gearing seemed to help a lot with over heating.  I'm going to add the Steahly 9.oz fly weight and see if it makes a difference.  Should have some additional feedback early next week.    

FYI - I have rode my buddies bike with the Rekluse.  I like it, however, I miss the engine breaking and believe I'll be fine w/o it, once I have the right gearing and the heavier flywheel. 

Try 12/51 gearing on the YZ with the stock clutch first before the Rekluse.  Rekluses do solve gearing problems, but they do it by slipping the clutch just like you could manually.  That means 2 things if the gearing is wrong-an over heating bike and poor clutch life.   Regear the bike and you'll be much happier.

I run 12/50 on my YZ450FX.  That makes 1st gear really useless except in dire situations and then you love it.  2nd and 3rd gear are excellent on singletrack and the low gearing puts them closer together.   The bike still does about 70 MPH.

People say that low gearing makes a 450F uncontrollable in 1st.  I have no problems with 1st on my FX, even in mud on ice, which is as slippery as it gets.   

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 6:59 PM, Krannie McKranface said:

In my opinion, proper suspension tuning is a huge help to aid in not stalling. More traction, less abrubptness, less jarring, make it much easier to modulate the clutch.

In my opnion, a Rekluse is great for occasional obstacles, but it actually makes it harder to control the clutch modulation at all rpms, and just learning how to use the lever is a bigger benefit, unless you are riding at a very fast pace, then the Rekluse really helps.

I agree with Krannie on both these issues. 

The suspension is often overlooked in a stall situation, especially the rear suspension.  If the rear tire spins the rider will instinctively back off.  And if it then hooks up, the engine is set up for stalling.

Actually my 450FX will stall.  If I go from 3/4 ish throttle to 0 throttle, it will backfire.  If I crack the throttle just as it backfires, it will stall.   It rarely happens.   I could probably fix it with a better map and I probably will someday.   I'm running the stock map these days.

28 minutes ago, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

I agree with Krannie on both these issues. 

The suspension is often overlooked in a stall situation, especially the rear suspension.  If the rear tire spins the rider will instinctively back off.  And if it then hooks up, the engine is set up for stalling.

Actually my 450FX will stall.  If I go from 3/4 ish throttle to 0 throttle, it will backfire.  If I crack the throttle just as it backfires, it will stall.   It rarely happens.   I could probably fix it with a better map and I probably will someday.   I'm running the stock map these days.

Just lean out the fuel a bit and it will stop doing that

Just now, Krannie McKranface said:

Just lean out the fuel a bit and it will stop doing that

The air filter might be too heavily oiled and/or dirty.  I'll service it first.

The 450FX is one heck of a bike.

• Like 1

Just now, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

The air filter might be too heavily oiled and/or dirty.  I'll service it first.

The 450FX is one heck of a bike.

I don't find the FX to be 'filter sensitive' like my Beta is. It's so bad that by the end of a dusty ride it starts to deliver power less crisply. 

12 minutes ago, Krannie McKranface said:

I don't find the FX to be 'filter sensitive' like my Beta is. It's so bad that by the end of a dusty ride it starts to deliver power less crisply. 

Other than the backfire, the 450FX runs clean all the time.

The FX stalls so infrequently that I don't worry about it.   I usually trigger it by coming into a corner too friggin fast and having to totally chop the throttle and hit the brakes to get slowed down.  As soon as I can see I'm not going to hug a tree, I'm back on it.  It happens once or twice in a day long ride.  It refires instantly when you hit the button.

The fuel mileage could be better on the 450FX, but then I'm usually on it pretty hard.  But the YZ450FX still has 1/3 of a tank left when a YZ250X hits reserve.  Same trail ridden at the same speed.

The 450FX destroyed a studded tire in a few rides that lasted a winter on each of the WR450F and YZ250FX.  The 450FX doesn't make that much more power than the WR450F, it just handles so well that you can be on the throttle riding aggressively more often.

Did I mention that I love my YZ450FX ?

20170527_212634.jpg