Do you buckle your helmet? Video "crash"

Recently happened at a race too... The guy was even told on the line his helmet was not done up...apparently he forgot and still took off. Crashed a few seconds into the race and his helmet popped off... 

Why even bother wearing it, if you're not going to buckle it? That's just stupid. We had a guy at the drag strip forget to buckle his last year. He crashed and his helmet came off, and he bashed his head on the roll cage. It was a ugly scene, and he was dead before the car stopped moving. 

• Like 5

Helmets have a chin strap for a very good reason.  Some people seem to think its decoration or something.  In my life I've even seen a handful of helmets with the chin strap cut off. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

This shit drives me crazy and I give people shit about it all the time. Dirt bikes, quads, MTB, BMX, skateboarders... every helmet sport, there's a bunch of &%$#@! who think they're cool by not buckling their helmets. So stupid. If you don't wear your helmet correctly and have it strapped on you 1. might as well not have it on and 2. look like a retard. Then you have the tools in side by sides who don't even wear a helmet, let me know how that works out for you when you roll you're glorified gokart and smash your head off the cage.

I also have a problem with people driving caged cars and trucks on the street with no helmet. Its difficult. If you have the self control to drive a fast car slow while you're out cruising, fine. But how many times have any of us with fast cars goosed it randomly or had the highway open up in front of us and just let the motor eat? Crash in a caged car with no helmet and you're just about guaranteed to break your skull.

I've slapped my head off the ground good a few times in my life, I've broken a few helmets in crashes, I've been in some serious car wreckss. Helmets and seat belts have literally saved my life more than twice. I'd go so far as to say that I love helmets and seat belts. They're so easy to use and they're very effective

• Like 8

So a bark buster to the back didn't knock enough sense into him to make him strap the helmet when he put it back on? 

Darwin is coming for that dude.

• Like 8

I always buckle my helmet. I mainly use my bike for woods/trail but I also use it to just get around my farm so what I wear for protection just varies by what I'm doing. The only time I don't wear a helmet is literally just to putt down to the mail box that's it. I wear my boots and helmet if I'm just riding somewhat easy on my own trails, I throw in a chest protector and knee/shin guards if I'm going to ride hard.

6 minutes ago, Krannie McKranface said:

You couldn't pay me enough to go riding with those tards....

So many things wrong with that video I don't know where to begin.

• Like 8

Often times, wisdom comes with age & experience. I do recall riding my 1982 YZ125 with a cheapy cheap open face helmet (was strapped though) and a pair of work boots. No other protective gear. Really didn't have the money for the full set of protective gear and for whatever reason, pops didn't push the issue. I came out relatively unscathed, but at the same time, I was pretty lucky. I did hit a stump hidden in some tall grass that rang my bell pretty good, but you recover fast when you're a teen. Hindsight being 20/20, you do pay for what you do to your body in your youth, so wear the best protective gear your wallet allows. Your old ass will thank you. ;)

5 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

a cheapy cheap open face helmet (was strapped though)

Even those aren't good for anything. First time I rode a PW50 when I was 5 and went right into a chain link fence and fractured my jaw in 3 places. 

I cringe when I see people riding 4x4s or just about anything more than a Vespa with one on.

• Like 3

Just now, MaybeMe said:

Even those aren't good for anything. First time I rode a PW50 when I was 5 and went right into a chain link fence and fractured my jaw in 3 places. 

I cringe when I see people riding 4x4s or just about anything more than a Vespa with one on.

For sure... I remember salivating over these when they came out... :smirk:

bell-moto-3-classic-yellow.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

For sure... I remember salivating over these when they came out... :smirk:

bell-moto-3-classic-yellow.jpg

Hah!  I was way ahead of the curve.  I used my Bell Star 90 without the face shield when I raced MX in the 70s.  Couldn't see a thing out of that little porthole except straight ahead. :lol:

1 hour ago, SenorThumpy said:

This shit drives me crazy and I give people shit about it all the time. Dirt bikes, quads, MTB, BMX, skateboarders... every helmet sport, there's a bunch of &%$#@! who think they're cool by not buckling their helmets. So stupid. If you don't wear your helmet correctly and have it strapped on you 1. might as well not have it on and 2. look like a retard. Then you have the tools in side by sides who don't even wear a helmet, let me know how that works out for you when you roll you're glorified gokart and smash your head off the cage.

I also have a problem with people driving caged cars and trucks on the street with no helmet. Its difficult. If you have the self control to drive a fast car slow while you're out cruising, fine. But how many times have any of us with fast cars goosed it randomly or had the highway open up in front of us and just let the motor eat? Crash in a caged car with no helmet and you're just about guaranteed to break your skull.

I've slapped my head off the ground good a few times in my life, I've broken a few helmets in crashes, I've been in some serious car wreckss. Helmets and seat belts have literally saved my life more than twice. I'd go so far as to say that I love helmets and seat belts. They're so easy to use and they're very effective

I have to admit I drive a caged car all the time with no helmet. The helmet kills my peripheral vision, and situation awareness, so it's not too practical. It's a calculated risk, I suppose. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1gr8bldr said:

I rarely ever buckle my helmet. I should probably start

I don't even know where to start with this?  Other than WHY?  WHY would you not buckle your helmet?  Do you think those straps are just there for looks?

• Like 2

You couldn't pay me enough to go riding with those tards....

agreed, i've watched a couple of their vids and it seems like they have no sense of any kind of protective gear.

1 hour ago, 69fastback said:

I have to admit I drive a caged car all the time with no helmet. The helmet kills my peripheral vision, and situation awareness, so it's not too practical. It's a calculated risk, I suppose. 

Yea its a difficult situation. You look like a tool wearing it on the street and its not practical for cruising around like you said. When I had my drag truck I'd keep my full face behind the seat and a skateboard helmet on the passenger seat (usually ended up on the floor). Normal driving I wouldn't wear anything, if I felt like opening it up quick i'd slap on the skateboard helmet... I just figure its better than nothing if something catastrophic happened. Whenever I actually planned on doing a hard pull or I lined up with someone on the street, full face came out of the bag. 

Edited by SenorThumpy