Ok some of the bolts on my bike were cross threaded in at some point in time before I got it and I've never had to do this before but is it hard to re thread places that have been stripped out 

You need to get yourself a Helicoil kit - basically drill out the old thread - tap it and insert the new thread

• Like 3

Occasionally you might get lucky, like I did with my TY 350 trials bike.  The skid plate was held on with three bolts, on in the front where the down tube came down and two at the rear of the engine.  All of the nuts were welded in captive units.  I managed to strip out that front nut.  In the process of trying to figure out what to do I realized that the resulting bore was exactly the specified size for the next size up coarse thread bolt.  I went to the hardware store, bought the proper size tap and bolt, came home and ran the tap up into the stripped out nut.  Then I bolted the skid plate up using the new coarse thread bolt.  It worked like a champ.  Most of the time though you will have to install a thread replacement like a heli-coil.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jake_belche757 said:

Ok some of the bolts on my bike were cross threaded in at some point in time before I got it and I've never had to do this before but is it hard to re thread places that have been stripped out 

It is possible to run a tap down the threads and salvage it if its not too badly damaged.  Really depends on how bad it is and how critical a bolt this is.  Otherwise helicoil or drill and tap oversize are the best options.

• Like 3

^^^ all good advice. My $0.02 is to do the least destructive attempt first (just rethread the stock size). That fails, and it is not a critical case or engine bolt, retapping a size up or preferably a heli-coil or better still, a Time-Sert.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, William1 said:

^^^ all good advice. My $0.02 is to do the least destructive attempt first (just rethread the stock size). That fails, and it is not a critical case or engine bolt, retapping a size up or preferably a heli-coil or better still, a Time-Sert.

And by "rethread" he means run a tap down the thread, NOT just jam a bolt into it and keep turning till it won't go any further.  

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, GlennRay said:

I've heard good things about Time-Serts, never used them though.

Been using them for about 30 years. Only used Heli Coils a few times. Only drawback is the length. They also now make kits sized to remove Heli Coils and replace with a Time Sert. Sort of double oversize on the OD. Look on Ebay for the best prices. I bought a kit that came from a folded GM dealer for $150, probably near $1K retail. Only one size was used one time.