1993 YZ250 resto

I recently got a 1993 yz250 in a trade. Decided to restore it to its former glory. So while the frame is in the powdercoat shop, I'm starting with the suspension. Has anyone ever seen this? I have a feeling it's not stock. It's the base valve but it has an adjustment that allows variable preload of a small spring. Spring backs up a large check valve. Seems like a high speed adjustment of sorts. Also, the small adjuster screw in the center has no clicks when turned. I have a pretty good knowledge of all dirt bikes but have never seen this. This bike is littered with all sorts of trick goodies that were popular 24 years ago. External powervalve adjuster. Bored Kehin carb. Ported cylinder. Old school 260mm Braking front disc. These base valves. List goes on. Pistons in fork seem OEM so I don't know. Has anyone seen this? Is it OEM? I don't have a manual yet so I havent looked.

SAM_2260.JPG

SAM_2261.JPG

On 6/1/2017 at 0:20 AM, 73effie said:

I recently got a 1993 yz250 in a trade. Decided to restore it to its former glory. So while the frame is in the powdercoat shop, I'm starting with the suspension. Has anyone ever seen this? I have a feeling it's not stock. It's the base valve but it has an adjustment that allows variable preload of a small spring. Spring backs up a large check valve. Seems like a high speed adjustment of sorts. Also, the small adjuster screw in the center has no clicks when turned. I have a pretty good knowledge of all dirt bikes but have never seen this. This bike is littered with all sorts of trick goodies that were popular 24 years ago. External powervalve adjuster. Bored Kehin carb. Ported cylinder. Old school 260mm Braking front disc. These base valves. List goes on. Pistons in fork seem OEM so I don't know. Has anyone seen this? Is it OEM? I don't have a manual yet so I havent looked.

SAM_2260.JPG

SAM_2261.JPG

Either after market or possiblyfrom newer model.  Nice score tho . are you going to turn it back white? 

6 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Either after market or possiblyfrom newer model.  Nice score tho . are you going to turn it back white? 

Yes. Bodywork will go back to white. I found a purple powder coat for the frame. It's being done now. I know '93 wasn't purple but I like it better than white. Graphics may either be '93 team replica or factory '93 replica. Thinking of a resto-mod so to speak. Basically stock looking but with motor work and other suttle but useful upgrades. Something I would have done in 1993 if I could've afforded this bike then. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 73effie said:

Yes. Bodywork will go back to white. I found a purple powder coat for the frame. It's being done now. I know '93 wasn't purple but I like it better than white. Graphics may either be '93 team replica or factory '93 replica. Thinking of a resto-mod so to speak. Basically stock looking but with motor work and other suttle but useful upgrades. Something I would have done in 1993 if I could've afforded this bike then. 

Awesome man:thumbsup: I remember dreullin over these bikes back then as a young kid. Started racing few years later on a cr500 . But my friend got a brand new 92 yz125 was white and pink lol but man was it beautiful.  Keep up with updates if you will please 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Awesome man:thumbsup: I remember dreullin over these bikes back then as a young kid. Started racing few years later on a cr500 . But my friend got a brand new 92 yz125 was white and pink lol but man was it beautiful.  Keep up with updates if you will please 

Same here. I started riding moto in the early 90's as a teen. I loved the look of these yamahas. I will definitely keep updating. Build will take a while due to my slave driving work schedule. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

It’s been a while but here are some photos of the ultra slow progress I’m making. Working 6 12’s at work.  I just hung the plastic on to see what it would look like. This is last month. Wheels and tires are finished and installed.

FAF55664-3805-49FE-A4E0-3E74DD206444.jpeg

D0B3EC50-EE04-477D-807E-DC44B295549D.jpeg

7FBA6C13-0134-4DA3-94A2-AE075F1D8ED9.jpeg

237B4EE5-0968-4EBC-AAFE-84CBFDA0E836.jpeg

FCE83CCD-2537-44C8-BEEC-148A7F2A9CEA.jpeg

35419EB6-A064-46C3-BDD3-8CBCEE8152DB.jpeg

BB7C7528-B6A9-44CD-89B8-1E19F2168D27.jpeg

Edited by 73effie
  • Like 5