Please help- JR50 won't start in gear

Well,

I pulled the side cover off my daughter's bike to do the 1st gear mod.  I didn't finish because the arm is harder than Chinese Algebra and she wanted to ride the next day.  So I put it back together (still with just 2nd gear) and had a lot of trouble getting the cover on with kick starter shaft and clutch disengagement arm aligned right. All is fine but I have to kick in Neutral.

Is there some trick to getting the kick starter shaft/lever/clutch arm aligned right?  I like to think I'm a fairly skilled mechanic, but this one has me messed up.  I want to pull it apart and get 1st gear as well as get it to start in gear.

Thanks!

I'm sure someone here can correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that when in gear it puts more resistance on the motor, requiring more fuel and air. Do you have an inline fuel filter, and have you pulled the carb to make sure you didnt stir up sediment while working on it and narrow the jet with sediment? Just a thought, but how is the idle and do you need to choke it to get it to start? The worst that could happen is it wasnt the problem and it gets a good cleaning. Good luck with it.

Just now, powermonger525 said:

When I kick it in gear, it turns the wheel. Clutch should disengage but doesn't

Mine does the exact same thing and is stock as stock gets. I still start it in gear but it jumps a little. I have a JR50 I just got and noticed that as well. 

Did yours ever not move with kick start?

Also, I have a honda xr 50 i just got and it does the exact same thing

I

10 hours ago, Andy3660 said:

Mine does the exact same thing and is stock as stock gets. I still start it in gear but it jumps a little. I have a JR50 I just got and noticed that as well. 

Did yours ever not move with kick start?

Also, I have a honda xr 50 i just got and it does the exact same thing

It started OK before I messed with it.  It doesn't jump a little- it's like FULLY engaged- the bike totally moves forward.  I also have a honda 50 that does what you said- the JR is totally different.  I mis-installed the clutch side cover of the JR somehow

It started OK before I messed with it.  It doesn't jump a little- it's like FULLY engaged- the bike totally moves forward.  I also have a honda 50 that does what you said- the JR is totally different.  I mis-installed the clutch side cover of the JR somehow

I played with mine some and every time I started in gear it one just forward her usually just told the break.  This weekend I'm going to pull the motor off and see if I can't swap first gear for second by flipping that shifter instead of cutting it.  that way my son can't accidentally shift into second when he steps on  The gearshift.  

Have you figured anything out with it?