Quick fork oil change without removing forks possible?

I have an 08 drz400sm and im 230lbs and the front fork oil is no doubt oldbut low mile. I want to know if it was possible to get most of the oil exchanged without going through taking the front end apart. I want to try a 7wt oil.

6 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Nothing is impossible but that is extremely impractical. There is alot more to it then draining and refilling with oil

Thats y im asking

No way around it, you have to remove the forks to change the oil. Think about it; how are you going to measure the air gap if the fork isn't vertical and compressed?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

No way around it, you have to remove the forks to change the oil. Think about it; how are you going to measure the air gap if the fork isn't vertical and compressed?

I was thinking ratchet straps

28 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

Ive never done it b4 but even if i could get half of the oil swapped i could do it several times or every so often to keep it fresh. I just dont have time to so it the "right" way. Trying to make people think to help me come up with a possible quick exchange method

Edited by M Blake Jr

2 minutes ago, M Blake Jr said:

I was thinking ratchet straps

My spidy sense tells me that you've never changed fork oil before. Why don't you try it the right way before trying to invent new ways of doing it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

My spidy sense tells me that you've never changed fork oil before. Why don't you try it the right way before trying to invent new ways of doing it?

Ive already answeres these questions and thats not what ive asked, its either possible or not

Edited by M Blake Jr

6 minutes ago, Gary in NJ said:

I will do it "the right way" when i have time to change springs n revalve

The "right" way to change fork fluid takes less than an hour. You will spend more time screwing around trying to half ass.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mikedabike said:

The "right" way to change fork fluid takes less than an hour. You will spend more time screwing around trying to half ass.

Closer to what i wanted to hear...i only get one day a week to ride so. If i open the cap how much oil is available to remove in %. Half the oil is good enough for me if i dont have to disassemble the whole front end. taking 10 min instead of 2 hours is a big deal when u only get 2 hours a week to ride.

Edited by M Blake Jr

23 minutes ago, M Blake Jr said:

Closer to what i wanted to here....i only get one day a week to ride so. If i open the cap how much oil is available to remove in %. Half the oil is good enough for me if i dont have to disassemble the whole front end. taking 10 min instead of 2 hours is a big deal when u only get 2 hours a week to ride.

i bet i could get the tubes out in less than 10 minutes, and im not an expert .. probably spend more time actually messing with the oil than disassembling .. bottom line is you have to make time to work on them sometimes .. i need a rear tire, its going to wait until i get a minute to do it lol ..

1 hour ago, M Blake Jr said:

Closer to what i wanted to here....i only get one day a week to ride so. If i open the cap how much oil is available to remove in %. Half the oil is good enough for me if i dont have to disassemble the whole front end. taking 10 min instead of 2 hours is a big deal when u only get 2 hours a week to ride.

I believe those are closed cartrage forks, so there is two separate chambers in each leg. The inner closed chamber has the oil for damping control and the outer chamber oil for just slider lube and air volume adjustment. Your not going to change damping quality by just changing the oil in outer chamber.

• Like 2

I believe those are closed cartrage forks, so there is two separate chambers in each leg. The inner closed chamber has the oil for damping control and the outer chamber oil for just slider lube and air volume adjustment. Your not going to change damping quality by just changing the oil in outer chamber.

That's 100% correct. You could add additional oil to increase bottoming resistant. You can inject the oil thru the bleeder holes.

The last set of twin chambers I did was at work during lunch a few years ago. I told a co-worker I would fix his forks for his RM250 if he brought them in. I disassembled, cleaned, replaced the bushings and seals and reassembled within 30 minutes. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic, just fanatic.

• Like 5

They are not closed cartridge forks, they are open bath.

You cannot remove the oil by suction, it will require gravity and pumping the legs dry.

You can remove the forks in about 8 minutes, with almost no effort at all.