1993 Suzuki Dr250se issues

I am having power issues with my 1993 suzuki dr250se.  There is no high end power, and in fifth gear (the bike has 6), the speed tops out at about 55-60 kph.  The bike is geared for torque but no matter how hard I try I cannot manage to get the front end up.  Using the clutch does not work.  The throttle response is very poor.   Also it burns rich too.  Any suggestions on how i can increase throttle response and power (and speed)?  I already have an FMF powercore 4 exhaust on the bike, but i feel like that does not help very much.  

Also, is there anyway to make my bike loud?  I live in a rural area so the noise is not a problem.  There are times when my bike gets louder, and with that comes an increase of power and throttle response, but i would like a bigger, more permanent increase of noise, power, and throttle response if possible.  All help is appreciated.  Thanks!!!

• Like 1

Also, is there anyway to make my bike loud?  I live in a rural area so the noise is not a problem.  There are times when my bike gets louder, and with that comes an increase of power and throttle response, but i would like a bigger, more permanent increase of noise, power, and throttle response if possible.  All help is appreciated.  Thanks!!!

does your exhaust have a baffle? If so you could take it out, when i had my 1995 dr350se it didn't wheelie easily and i geared it down too,just keep practicing

4 hours ago, mixgashaulbass said:

does your exhaust have a baffle? If so you could take it out, when i had my 1995 dr350se it didn't wheelie easily and i geared it down too,just keep practicing

It had a quiet insert, but I took that out. I will see if it has an actual baffle. Thanks for the help

On 6/1/2017 at 0:53 PM, Fsxfisherman1 said:

I am having power issues with my 1993 suzuki dr250se.  There is no high end power, and in fifth gear (the bike has 6), the speed tops out at about 55-60 kph.  The bike is geared for torque but no matter how hard I try I cannot manage to get the front end up.  Using the clutch does not work.  The throttle response is very poor.   Also it burns rich too.  Any suggestions on how i can increase throttle response and power (and speed)?  I already have an FMF powercore 4 exhaust on the bike, but i feel like that does not help very much.  

I don't have the 250 but top speed should be much higher than that. Something's going on.

Make sure you're getting good fuel delivery - maybe remove the petcock and check for sediment in the tank, check the fuel lines, etc.

The carb is an obvious culprit for low power. Start with the basics and really clean your carbs well - be meticulous, use lots of carb cleaner (ultrasonic if you can find someone). A carb rebuild kit and fresh jets couldn't hurt - if you have aftermarket pipe and/or airbox mods get a few larger main jets to try.

Carburetors are as much an art as a science, lol. Get a copy of the Suzuki service manual and study the sections on your carb, use Google and the forums until it makes sense to you, then dial everything in as close to stock - Suzuki recommended settings - as you can so you have a baseline. Then tweak from there.

Low compression (bad rings, scoring/damage to the piston) and incorrect valve adjustment should also be considered.

A really clogged air filter could also be suffocating the engine - make sure your filter is clean and nothing is obstructing air flow (like the mouse nest I had in my airbox, lol)

Valves, fuel delivery & carb cleaning are the easiest and most likely things to start with.

Just my $0.02, someone more knowledgeable might be able to help a little better. Good luck!

P.S. As far as wheelies go, you can have plenty of power and still not get the front up. Body position and timing are everything! Start slow, at a near crawl, get the engine revving, then swiftly but smoothly let off the clutch and roll into the power, get your weight back on the bike and pull up on the handlebars a bit. Take your time and don't rush it. Even with a little power and the right body position you should be able to pop that front up a wee bit. :)

Edited by Tekime