Sign in to follow this  

KTM 690 Manual Cam Chain Tensioner?

Hi guys. Just wondering if I was to purchase a manual timing cam tensioner from Rally-Raid, if I need to set my motor to TDC to install it?
Or can I just remove the stock tensioner and put the manual one in?

My bike only has a loud ticking sound on ititial startup that's lasts a second or so then goes away completely. Was just considering upgrading the timing chain tensioner at this stage.
In the video attached to this post you'll hear what I mean, once startup it makes a slight loud-ish noise then goes away completely. Not sure if it's even worth worrying about or not seeing as it's only for a split second on initial startup...

could be a dodgy / sticky tensioner - remove it after TDC and check how much adjustment is left on the chain adjuster - assuming this is your model here -

had a dodgy auto adjuster on my 11 450r - installed a manual as well and no problems

690.jpg

Yep that's my model. If it's only for a split second, it's not something to worry about yet until I do my valve clearances?

My living room guess is one of the rocker bearings is about to let go. If I were you I'd check and replace . The tensioner is certainly another failure point. When mine failed it no longer tensioned. The chain was slack. The sound was ticky-ticky.

Sent from my XT1080 using ThumperTalk mobile app

On 2017-09-09 at 10:53 AM, coarsegoldkid said:

My living room guess is one of the rocker bearings is about to let go. If I were you I'd check and replace . The tensioner is certainly another failure point. When mine failed it no longer tensioned. The chain was slack. The sound was ticky-ticky.

Sent from my XT1080 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yes, +1 on investigating the rockers. A single this powerful eats things. The rocker arm bearings should only have a slight amount of side play. You should consider them a consumable engine part and order up a new pair, and pop your cylinder head cover and compare play between old and new. if the bearing explodes your engine sucks all those bits through the head and cylinder and it gets expensive fast, so best to swap out for piece of mind. heavy scoring marks on the rocker bearing is a clue that you're getting close. Not hard at all to change. search youtube video Noah Hoarak for a valve adjust to get a sense of it. if you're smart, you'll check your valves while in there, and get a sense of the wear side of things, and you can swap rockers when you adjust the shims.  

I've got the rally raid MCCT in mine, its easy to install but difficult to do in the bike as there is minimal clearance as its right next to the frame. the frame narrows right behind the CCT so you can't just use a deep dish socket and be done with it. basically to set it you just spin it on lightly and if you've got the cylinder head off, you can see when it first touches the cam chain, then you just mark the spot with a pen, put the bike back together, fire it up and turn it in incrementally from there until the cam chain noise stops, shortly thereafter. then set it. 

• Like 1