New to me 2014 YZ250F

Just wanted to Introduce myself in the sub-forum. As the title states I just picked up a 2014 YZ250F, so far I'm really loving the bike, when I started shopping I really fell in love with the white/red/black scheme and knew I had to have one!

I've been going over as much as I can to make sure it's track and trail ready like air filter, oil change, oil filter, spark plug, lubing the cables & chain etc but if you more experienced folks have any suggestions on things to look for I'd love to hear from you!

This is my first full size bike as an adult so I want to be meticulous and make sure everything is functioning properly.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_20170530_150808_679.jpg

I have the blue one.

Make sure when you change the oil you also pull out that black strainer screen on the left side and clean it also. It doesn't hold much oil so change it often.

The GYTR tuner tool is a great thing to have for the bike.

• Like 1

I have a 15. Great bikes! if you have any questions let me know. Id be glad to help you out

• Like 1

10 hours ago, motox331 said:

I have a 15. Great bikes! if you have any questions let me know. Id be glad to help you out

That's great! Thanks for the offer!

5 minutes ago, Excitable said:

as above grab the tuner,also looks like time for a new chain.

I was looking at it the other day and it looks stretched. I'll have to give it another look.

If it does need replacing I should do the sprockets too, correct?

Just now, Tclark619 said:

That's great! Thanks for the offer!

I was looking at it the other day and it looks stretched. I'll have to give it another look.

If it does need replacing I should do the sprockets too, correct?

usually yes, look at both sprockets for cupping, if not too bad get a cheap chain and run it for the season then replace everything with better quality in the off season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Excitable said:

usually yes, look at both sprockets for cupping, if not too bad get a cheap chain and run it for the season then replace everything with better quality in the off season.

Alright, I'll check them out asap! Are there some brands that are considered the standard? I don't want to cheap out and buy junk lol.

Alright, I'll check them out asap! Are there some brands that are considered the standard? I don't want to cheap out and buy junk lol.

depends on what you do, racing you want lighter aluminum sprockets where as woods you want the strength of steel sprockets.

as for chains price usually matters, also type, you have standard o-ring and x-ring, standard ones allow dirt water in so more maintenance is required, o and x are semi sealed and will take a bit more abuse.

maintain the bike after every ride and wear parts will last longer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Excitable said:

depends on what you do, racing you want lighter aluminum sprockets where as woods you want the strength of steel sprockets.

as for chains price usually matters, also type, you have standard o-ring and x-ring, standard ones allow dirt water in so more maintenance is required, o and x are semi sealed and will take a bit more abuse.

maintain the bike after every ride and wear parts will last longer.

Awesome, thanks for the help! Think I've got a pretty good idea of what will work best for me now.

Just now, Excitable said:

just remember when winter comes its time to rip her down and grease every bearing/pivot point.

I may do that now, I've learned from experience never to trust previous owners taking care of maintenance.

I may do that now, I've learned from experience never to trust previous owners taking care of maintenance.

tell me about it, over 3k into a 97 cr250 and its still not done :facepalm:

• Like 2