If my coolant is blue...does that mean it's propylene glycol based?

So I purchased my 05 Husky TC250 off Craigslist and went out and bought some Engine Ice, oil, filters etc. off the bat without really seeing what was in it.

I'm replacing some radiator pieces that are reccomended (weak crossover hose and plastic "T" fitting with aluminum "Y" fitting) Anyway...my plan was to do them both and do a flush and fill with Engine Ice, but my Y fitting might not make it in time before this weekends ride. When checking the ignition coil for no spark a little while back I removed a hose and saw the coolant was a nice clean blue color. Is it safe to assume the color means that it's propylene glycol based coolant? I just need to top up a little bit that was lost when changing hoses until my last piece arrives and I do a full flush. I was going to just add a little Ice from Engine Ice from my jug but I don't want to mix coolants if it's not really the same formula.

Not really a big deal...just wondering how many colors of coolant are out there and if it's an indicator of what type it is. I think some AGIP coolants that Husky's ship with are blue...not sure though,

If my memory serves me correctly the propylene glycol is the chemical the stops the freeze and then is mixed with other agents to get color and lubrication so I believe the answer is yes but not all of them mix together per factory beliefs, I said alot but didn't really say anything I guess!

No worries...I will probably just top it up with a little distilled water until my part arrives and I do a full flush. The amount I have to put in probably won't change the ratio more than a percent or two.  :thumbsup:

Common antifreeze is ethylene glycol based.  The waterless stuff is propylene glycol.  Color means nothing as there are no established standards between different manufacturers.

On 6/1/2017 at 4:10 PM, Force10 said:

No worries...I will probably just top it up with a little distilled water until my part arrives and I do a full flush. The amount I have to put in probably won't change the ratio more than a percent or two.  :thumbsup:

This is honestly the best idea. It could be anything. I know Spectro is a light blue, so is Engine Ice and others.