Cooper Webb/Factory Yamaha

17 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

And when Coop finally tells Yamaha to shove their bike where it belings where is Yamaha going to be? A far cry away from the powerhouse you guys were describing when it was AMart, JMart and Coop on the 250 Yam.

I don't think anyone expected the 250 to be all that much different than the 450

The 250 is a great pro bike as proven by the championships. The 450.....not so much 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, wes513v said:

Throwing a tantrum and not riding the second moto cements the immature whiners status.

Bottom line is, Coop is signed to ride the bike supplied. He needs to get his pouty little ass in the saddle and earn his money and stop pretending to be James Stewart.

Agree 100%.  Although I wouldn't condone it, if he was a serious title contender and had a bike issue (like Tomac did in SX and outdoors), I could more understand his frustration.  But, like we said, he went into this knowing the bike, is young, making good money, and has a chance to not only get better but make the bike better in the progress.  He isn't at the level yet where he's a serious threat, so even on a better bike the odds are that he isn't ready to be wearing a number one plate next year.

Get your punk-a$$ back on the bike, give your input on how to make it better, and do the best that you can.  Throwing tantrums doesn't help anyone in any way.

• Like 3

Webb has been on the 450 for SX 2017, and now the nationals. How long did he ride the Yamaha 250, and was it for the same team? Or did he ride for the Gibbs team?

I'm thinking that Webb has ridden for this team for several years now. If it's been the same team for 250 and 450, they know each other by now.

How the teams, builders, tuners, managers, and riders, work things out is a story that interest us. Too bad we get very littler info on this.

What we are arguing here is whether Webb is being unreasonable (a whiner crybaby) or if the faceless nameless Yamaha team is being hard headed and brain dead, and they therefore deserve Webb walking off the race track. In other words, was his protest justified?

Remember when young starlet Kenny Roczen and his dad, told Carmichael and his Suzuki team that they did not know how to tune suspensions? Would love to hear Carmichael's take on that story someday. Kenny went on to have an amazing season on that bike. His best one yet.

Edited by Hendricus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

And when Coop finally tells Yamaha to shove their bike where it belongs.... where is Yamaha going to be? A far cry away from the powerhouse you guys were describing when it was AMart, JMart and Coop on the 250 Yam.

Too much speculation for me to agree with this perspective. The only shred of evidence you have is that Cooper is not doing well in the first four motos of the season. Plus, if you've ever worked on a team (in the broad sense, not just an MX team), this is simply not how it's done. If Cooper is a "shove it up your ass!" kind of guy, believe me, they cannot wait to dump him.

• Like 1

In SX Reed was frustrated with the bike but finally found something to improve it for him marginally and I think his experience may have helped Coop with his bike.

But now Reed is gone and Coop is dead in the water with a Big Blue Anchor [emoji572]️[emoji12]

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jetfuel said:

In SX Reed was frustrated with the bike but finally found something to improve it for him marginally and I think his experience may have helped Coop with his bike.

But now Reed is gone and Coop is dead in the water with a Big Blue Anchor emoji572.pngemoji12.png

Reed was actually complaining Yamaha wouldn't make the changes Reed wanted and then they did & he got a second in stupidcross.  Not sure why they made him revert back to their set up after that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hendricus said:

Too much speculation for me to agree with this perspective. The only shred of evidence you have is that Cooper is not doing well in the first four motos of the season. Plus, if you've ever worked on a team (in the broad sense, not just an MX team), this is simply not how it's done. If Cooper is a "shove it up your ass!" kind of guy, believe me, they cannot wait to dump him.

See below, if a team isn't willi.g to admit something is wro g and fix the issue tvey aren't doing their part of being a "team" either.  When Coop bails maybe the mechanic that says there is nothing wrong can ride the bike because no other pro seems to be willing. 

4 minutes ago, Towel.Nutkis.Lipshiz said:

Reed was actually complaining Yamaha wouldn't make the changes Reed wanted and then they did & he got a second in stupidcross.  Not sure why they made him revert back to their set up after that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

See below, if a team isn't willi.g to admit something is wro g and fix the issue tvey aren't doing their part of being a "team" either.  When Coop bails maybe the mechanic that says there is nothing wrong can ride the bike ...because no other pro seems to be willing.

This surprises me, but I'm willing give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you. The bike is crap then. If pros are turning down good multi-year money, you'd think Yamaha would change what's wrong with the bike.

17 minutes ago, Towel.Nutkis.Lipshiz said:

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hendricus said:

This surprises me, but I'm willing give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you. The bike is crap then. If pros are turning down good multi-year money, you'd think Yamaha would change what's wrong with the bike.

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Nope, that's what he bitched about.  Wouldn't surprise me if they let him run a part they shouldn't have had to prove a point then made him put it away.

• Like 3

Maybe the same mechanic that set up Tomac's front brake went over and adjusted Webb's suspension?

Seriously, if the RUMOR is true, that he pull off because of the bike, it might be broken.

Glen Helen chewed up and spit out a few bikes on the day.

Reed made the 450 good in Supercross.  This isn't the old Yami 450 frame that was ejecting Stewart.

Edited by Kev_XR
  • Like 2

"This isn't the old Yami 450 frame that was ejecting Stewart."

How much different is it really? Sure theres been some refinement but the basic platform and the fundamental handling traits are likely still there ?

The yamaha designs from wayyy back have always been quite stable geometry but now we have similar geometry with a move of some mass twards the back and a bit lower.  Weather this is a good move may be in question.

Strange that it seems to work well on the 250

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wvdualsport said:

Nobody wants to ride a blue bike?  Someone get Mookie on the horn.  I bet he'd be glad to line up on a 450 Yami Saturday.

If they made a 450 with a couch for a seat he'd be all over it I'm sure.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 3