Hatfield-McCoy Rockhouse, easy trails are really not

Just rode Rockhouse system at Hatfield-McCoy. In general, I like the whole system and the trails, towns, etc. a lot. 

But I have one complaint: To get to the interesting trails from Man, you have to go up trail #10 a long way. And from Gilbert, you have to up trail #12. These are both listed as 'green easiest" I think they are miscolored.

While they may be the easiest for a 4x4 or ATV, they are not always easy on a dirt bike. They have serious climbs, and when wet, the mud is very slick and tricky. 

Trail #23 is blue, and has serious climb/descent at each end, but the climbs are no worse than climbs on 10 and 12. And once you have gone up, the trail itself is much easier than 10 or 12.

I'm not a great rider, but I can usually ride fairly challenging stuff. But in the wet trails this week, I fell hard climbing easy trails, and we decided to not try to climb #12 out of Gilbert because it was so challenging going down the mountain in the mud, rocks, and ruts.

Is 12 the one that rises up adjacent to Twin Hollow Camp ground.  If so, that thing is pure evil after a good rain.  The quads and SxSs running up and down from the camp area turn that trail into a solid mile of mud.  Once you're up on the hill its not too bad.

21 hours ago, L. Euler said:

Is 12 the one that rises up adjacent to Twin Hollow Camp ground.  If so, that thing is pure evil after a good rain.  The quads and SxSs running up and down from the camp area turn that trail into a solid mile of mud.  Once you're up on the hill its not too bad.

Yeah, parts of 12 run from the tunnel (where secret #3 comes over from Twin Hollow). That section is steep, rutted, and clay. When wet, the clay turns to tractionless mud.

I agree, once back East of the tunnel, its mostly passable. Challenging, but not pure evil. There are a couple of turns/climbs on #10 going into Man that are also way past "easy"

I have had similar experiences on trail 21 in Matewan and trail 10 in Williamson at the Devil Anse and Buffalo Mountain trail systems.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Original said:

I have had similar experiences on trail 21 in Matewan and trail 10 in Williamson at the Devil Anse and Buffalo Mountain trail systems.

I rode Buffalo Mountain/Matewan two years ago. There were a couple of "green" trails that were beyond my skill level. I had to ask a buddy to ride my bike up some of the climbs. Better riders can make them, but they were not easy.

So just got back last week from my first run up to HMT and we rode Rockhouse for two days and Pinnacle Creek for one.  I agree the "greens" are pretty above beginner, especially the trailhead routes.  By comparison, we rode blues all day at Pinnacle and they were much easier for the most part.  Didn't have too much trouble getting up and down at Rockhouse, but as new riders, we definitely were challenged.  At least it helped speed up the learning curve.  No major disasters, just some bruised dignity at times.

• Like 1

Just now, Schpenxel said:

What are you using to make those videos?

a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 camera. Competitor to GoPro. I replaced my GoPro with the Garmin. Love the GPS tracking, speed and map. I think the images are better and the image stabilization better as well, but that is just IMHO

5 hours ago, pat22043 said:

a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 camera. Competitor to GoPro. I replaced my GoPro with the Garmin. Love the GPS tracking, speed and map. I think the images are better and the image stabilization better as well, but that is just IMHO

I like the Garmin, but the newer GoPro's now offer the same features. GPS tracking, speed, etc.  Either is a good choice these days.  I went the opposite direction, picked up a simple GoPro Session 5 (the small cube), I just like how it's less obtrusive. Well, that and I don't need my camera telling me I ride slow, I already know that. The downside, though, is short battery life and no ability to change the battery.  It was an impulse purchase though and one I didn't tell my wife about..... so we'll be waiting a while before I upgrade!!!

Edited by scridercoach

I didn't know GoPro added GPS.  Is that just to the session 5 and hero 5?  That makes me seriously consider buying one.  I have a hero 3 I think it is and it was def before that was a feature so I'm always trying to sync up my phone to get GPS data and my GoPro for video, total PITA

I know that for sure the Hero 5 Black has GPS now.  You can overlay it or not.  It' s called "gauges".  When you use their desktop app (and possibly the phone app?), you can overlay graphs "that show how fast, far and high you went" according to the website. When I bought my Session and was doing my research, it's how I found out.   I didn't look into it that deeply, as I knew the Session wasn't GPS capable.  A quick visit to the GoPro site will give you the information you need, I'm sure.

Edited by scridercoach